Aldabra not pooping

niraj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
My Aldabra Tortoise is approximately 3 years old. He is being fed Mazuri LS, Romaine and Iceberg Lettuce, Celery, Cucumber, Pumpkin and Orchard Grass. He has not pooped for the last 10 days. This has never happened earlier. Temperature here is in the range of 95 to 105 degrees Farenheit (35 to 40 degrees Celsius) Humidity is around 70%. Can anyone kindly point out what could be the issue and whether any treatment / medication is required. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Aldabra Tortoise is approximately 3 years old. He is being fed Mazuri LS, Romaine and Iceberg Lettuce, Celery, Cucumber, Pumpkin and Orchard Grass. He has not pooped for the last 10 days. This has never happened earlier. Temperature here is in the range of 95 to 105 degrees Farenheit (35 to 40 degrees Celsius) Humidity is around 70%. Can anyone kindly point out what could be the issue and whether any treatment / medication is required. Thank you.
Have you tried soaking? Do a warm water soak in a tall sided opaque tub for an hour or more. If that fails, use the same tub and take him for a car ride.

Add some spineless opuntia to the diet. It is great tortoise food, high in calcium and fiber, and high water content, but it lubricates the GI tract.

What size is the tortoise, and what size is the enclosure? What percentage of the enclosure is shaded in your hot climate? I ask because tortoises need large enclosures so they can walk a lot each day. Much like a horse, locomotion helps keep the GI tract moving. In a small pen, or in a large pen that is all sun all day with no shade, the tortoise might not be walking enough. Trying to climb out of the tall sided soaking tub often helps with this.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
Thank you for your response. Its length is 14 inches and width is 12 inches. Weight is 15kgs. It is being soaked everyday for half an hour. It is eating daily and regularly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your response. Its length is 14 inches and width is 12 inches. Weight is 15kgs. It is being soaked everyday for half an hour. It is eating daily and regularly.
What size is the enclosure? How much shade?

I soak larger tortoises for 60 minutes or more sometimes.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
What size is the enclosure? How much shade?

I soak larger tortoises for 60 minutes or more sometimes.
Enclosure is around 200 sq feet. Shade is around 75 sq feet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a picture of your tortoises enclosure so we can better help.
You also need to improve the diet.
Iceberg Lettuce, Celery, Cucumber, Pumpkin all need to be fed sparingly. Should not be a big part of the diet.
More orchard grass and can add alfalfa hay.
Soak him longer then the 1/2 hour and be sure it's in a big enough container that he can move around a lot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Post a picture of your tortoises enclosure so we can better help.
You also need to improve the diet.
Iceberg Lettuce, Celery, Cucumber, Pumpkin all need to be fed sparingly. Should not be a big part of the diet.
More orchard grass and can add alfalfa hay.
Soak him longer then the 1/2 hour and be sure it's in a big enough container that he can move around a lot.
This tortoise is already huge for its age. I would not recommend alfalfa hay for it. Alfalfa hay is much too stemmy anyway for a tortoise this size.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Enclosure is around 200 sq feet. Shade is around 75 sq feet.
That is likely your problem. A 15kg tortoise should have at least 2500 square feet to roam around in. In your hot climate, most of that area needs to be shaded for the tortoise to use it. 200 square feet is suitable for 1kg tortoise. By 2kg, they need much more room to roam.

Giant tortoises need giant enclosures, and it helps to have hills and obstacles in the enclosure for them to navigate as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greg feeds orchard and alfalfa.
Greg has 400-600 pound 100 year old adults. This poster has a 35 pound 3 year old baby. Greg also lives in a places where it rains nearly every day, and his enclosures are appropriately HUGE. It gets suitable warm where Greg is, but not hot like India. This poster has a blocked up tortoise in a small enclosure in a hotter drier environment. I don't think alfalfa hay is a good recommendation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Greg has 400-600 pound 100 year old adults. This poster has a 35 pound 3 year old baby. Greg also lives in a places where it rains nearly every day, and his enclosures are appropriately HUGE. It gets suitable warm where Greg is, but not hot like India. This poster has a blocked up tortoise in a small enclosure in a hotter drier environment. I don't think alfalfa hay is a good recommendation.
Have no idea what this poster has for an enclosure. I didn't see where he posted it. I also don't know for sure if Greg only feeds his adults the O and A, but I do believe he does feed to the younger ones, but not likely the hatchlings. I do know this persons diet needs to improve.
Maybe @ALDABRAMAN can confirm if the OP tort is too young or over sized for alfalfa.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
Fed a Papaya yesterday. The tortoise pooped today. Thank you everyone for your kind responses and help

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ah, the wonders and mysteries of Papaya!
And I guess we will just have to imagine how the happy and relieved Aldabra looks.....!
I always preferred books to movies anyway.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ah, the wonders and mysteries of Papaya!
And I guess we will just have to imagine how the happy and relieved Aldabra looks.....!
I always preferred books to movies anyway.
Tammy. You are such a dweeb. You know very well that without pics, it didn't happen.