ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
wellington said:
Oh, that's right. You guys are hogging all the nice warm weather, while the rest of the country freezes.

* 85f today!

25zjr4i.jpg

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I wish my Russians shared as nicely as your big guys! There's so much drama around here! I have to stay back or I might lose a finger!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
BodaTort1 said:
Hi Greg.. So happy to see Hopie getting growth lines. He is so amazing.

* Thank you and yes he is doing so well, actually he is eating grass and drinking on his own these days!

2ivh0eh.jpg

BodaTort1 said:
Greg.. // Question for you.. How much food does one adult eat in a day you think?

* Hard to say because the males eat way more than females. I can say that i put out about a half of a bale of hay today and it is was all gone by dusk. Over half were browsing all day in the field and the other half ate the hay.

* I have put four sleeves (that is just less than one quarter of a large bail of hay) and eight large cactus pads directly in front of Alfa and he ate all within a few hours. He then proceeded to the open field and ate wild grass and weeds for a while before dusk.

axjvvq.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Greg, do you notice your herds behavior for grazing and wandering hour? If I may ask in more details:
- During early day, what time they usually start coming out of their pen and grazing?
- During morning to noon time, what time you monitor them trying to find shade? And what is the average temperature when they start to look for shade.
- What time they come out of shade and start grazing again?
- Finally what time they stop grazing or wandering and going back to their pen or sleep.

Also another question, at what size do you stop soaking your aldabra hatchling and rely on spraying only during hottest day?

Thanks in advance for answering.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
Greg, do you notice your herds behavior for grazing and wandering hour?

* Our adults are usually up and browsing by dawn and tend to find shade options during the hottest part of the day. Sometimes they will start browsing again in the late afternoon when the temperature goes back down. If it is a cooler and sunny day some will browse all day and never find shade options. A lot of this behavior depends on food availability, if no easy food sources are available they tend to browse longer. If they have an abundant of easy accessible food, they tend to eat until full and retire for the day, usually i the barn. Our young ones do the same, except they eat much less and hind more.

287ekau.jpg

Yellow Turtle said:
Also another question, at what size do you stop soaking your aldabra hatchling

* We soak our hatchlings twice a day for the first ten days or so and then at least once a day for the next twenty days or so. The majority are leaving our program between thirty and forty days old. (about 3")

2n9ke21.jpg

2h3quxl.jpg

11ug8xg.jpg

Yellow Turtle said:
rely on spraying only during hottest day?

* We are always providing sources for hydration at all ages. Either thru electronic and manual valve control systems for irrigation, plenty of fresh water in bowls and daily showers by hand!

34pjpd3.jpg

mkb0b8.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If Hopie is eating and drinking, how much longer will he need the feeding tube? If his blood work comes out all normal, will the tube be removed? He's doing so well. I'm so glad you saved him and probably have him there for life. I really hope there will always be someone there to care for him for life. He'll outlive you for sure, especially with the premium Carr you provide your herd. You've got a big heart!:)
ALDABRAMAN said:
BodaTort1 said:
Hi Greg.. So happy to see Hopie getting growth lines. He is so amazing.

* Thank you and yes he is doing so well, actually he is eating grass and drinking on his own these days!

2ivh0eh.jpg

BodaTort1 said:
Greg.. // Question for you.. How much food does one adult eat in a day you think?

* Hard to say because the males eat way more than females. I can say that i put out about a half of a bale of hay today and it is was all gone by dusk. Over half were browsing all day in the field and the other half ate the hay.

* I have put four sleeves (that is just less than one quarter of a large bail of hay) and eight large cactus pads directly in front of Alfa and he ate all within a few hours. He then proceeded to the open field and ate wild grass and weeds for a while before dusk.

axjvvq.jpg

I thought I just posted something about Hopie, but I don't see it. I wanted to ask how long will Hopie have to be on the feeding tube since he's eating and drinking now? If the blood work shows his numbers to be normal, will the feeding tube be removed? I'm so glad that you saved Hopie and that he'll be a permanent member of your family. He soooo sweet, and he needs your excellent care. You have a big heart:)

My posts aren't not showing up. Mods, is there anyone on?

kerogawa

very informative aldabraman..
i hope to learn more.. keep updating with those beautiful photos..

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
If Hopie is eating and drinking, how much longer will he need the feeding tube? If his blood work comes out all normal, will the tube be removed?

* This is his third feeding tube and his blood work is all within normal ranges, actually it always has been. The cat scan showed a small section of his spinal cord narrowing or damaged, Dr Mader could be certain if it was genetic or an injury. Eventually we will remove the tube, however this pattern seems to be perpetual in that he eats and drinks and then stops again so we are reluctant at this point to remove it just yet. We push water every night insure good hydration, mainly because he is housed over night inside under heat.

2vuh9br.jpg