CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
T It is amazing that they don't break especially when they fall on top of each other.

~ They do break at times, we make every possible effort to catch them as they fall. Some of our females are very skiddish at times and we simply do not interfere unless we think it she is not effected at all by our involvement.

IMG_2876.JPG

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
~ Some are close to a foot deep.

View attachment 243269
The once or twice i have handled eggs from mine i have picked them up as if it was going to break at the slightest knock. Guess i was wrong. Lol. Probably would still pick them up like that but good to know that they are tougher than they look.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
So that they have a bit if cushioning for the fall.

~ Sometimes we will place a soft towel at the bottom of the nest just before she lays to help cushion the fall, things really depend on several variables and factors as to exactly what we do each clutch.

IMG_0894.JPG

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The once or twice i have handled eggs from mine i have picked them up as if it was going to break at the slightest knock. Guess i was wrong. Lol. Probably would still pick them up like that but good to know that they are tougher than they look.

~ They are designed to make the fall, however at times they hit wrong or may land on a rock. We make every possible effort to catch them and recover them all undamaged.

IMG_1864.JPG

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
~ Sometimes we will place a soft towel at the bottom of the nest just before she lays to help cushion the fall, things really depend on several variables and factors as to exactly what we do each clutch.

View attachment 243273
Very interesting. In the wild would you say that some break in the fall?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
~ They do break at times, we make every possible effort to catch them as they fall. Some of our females are very skiddish at times and we simply do not interfere unless we think it she is not effected at all by our involvement.

View attachment 243271
Oops missed these before my comment on the wild eggs.