ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Really love the pond/ mud hole idea, nice that they can go in and out at will and wallow around. When I think of planning for a larger area next summer, I keep going over ideas for a pond, I think I may go with a lined one (like those hard plastic ones, preformed), maybe even seal painted concrete. But then I'd have to put in a fountain, or waterfall to keep it running and not get stagnant, and clean it once a month. My soil here is so sandy I think mine would drain out so fast I could't even keep it for a few hours in an open hole (except maybe in rainy season). Anyway...great addition to their world :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Really love the pond/ mud hole idea, nice that they can go in and out at will and wallow around. When I think of planning for a larger area next summer, I keep going over ideas for a pond, I think I may go with a lined one (like those hard plastic ones, preformed), maybe even seal painted concrete. But then I'd have to put in a fountain, or waterfall to keep it running and not get stagnant, and clean it once a month. My soil here is so sandy I think mine would drain out so fast I could't even keep it for a few hours in an open hole (except maybe in rainy season). Anyway...great addition to their world :)

I have heavy clay soil and unless I leave the hose on "drip" sitting in my aldab's mud hole, by the end of the day the water's gone.