alf alfa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
i picked up some "timothy cut alf alfa" just wondering pretty much if i can use that for food... it was with the rabbit food, not too sure why i though i can use that, i thought i read it on a care sheet, and just wanted to double check.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Remind us once again what type of tortoise you are feeding.

I don't like to buy the cut hays that the pet store sells. They are OLD, very old, stickery and hard. Too hard to even soften if soaked in water.

I've never heard of timothy cut alfalfa. Timothy is a type of grass and it is ok to feed to tortoises. Alfalfa is a legume and shouldn't be fed all the time, but is ok occasionally.

BUT...

If you're feeding a Russian (or any mediterranean for that matter), they really would rather eat broad-leaf plants and weeds and aren't too fond of the grasses.

And babies won't even look at hay as "food" until they get to be 3 or 4 years old.

DeEuGi

5 Year Member
Ohio
Okay thanks. I have a sulcatas... right now I'm feeding him some collared greens and endive cut up, same I feed my beardie. I was just wondering about this stuff. I got it at Meijer's so ill just give it o my moms rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.