Timothy hay for Hermann Tortoise?

Sydgeo21

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello! I recently heard someone saying they give their hermann Timothy hay, I’m surprised I’ve never tried this before (I also have a rabbit so I always have hay on hand) I was wanting to double check that Timothy hay is safe for a hermann before I give him some. Has anyone else given their hermann Timothy hay? And is there other hay types that they can eat also?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I recently heard someone saying they give their hermann Timothy hay, I’m surprised I’ve never tried this before (I also have a rabbit so I always have hay on hand) I was wanting to double check that Timothy hay is safe for a hermann before I give him some. Has anyone else given their hermann Timothy hay? And is there other hay types that they can eat also?
Hermanni are not grass eaters. Hay is not really a suitable food for them. And Timothy would be the last choice for this if you were going to attempt it, as it is too stemmy. I don't even like Timothy hay for large grass eating species. I prefer orchard grass hay or Bermuda. Hermanni should;d be eating mostly broad leaf weeds, leaves, and flowers of the right types.

Hay can be used if you finely chop it and then re-hydrate it by soaking it for a while as a way to add much needed fiber to grocery store greens. I use Timothy pellets in this way. I soak them and they crumble. I then mix that in with greens for added fiber.

The problem with trying it to see what happens is that if your substrate is sufficiently damp, as it should be, the hay will quickly mold.

Sydgeo21

Ohio
Hermanni are not grass eaters. Hay is not really a suitable food for them. And Timothy would be the last choice for this if you were going to attempt it, as it is too stemmy. I don't even like Timothy hay for large grass eating species. I prefer orchard grass hay or Bermuda. Hermanni should;d be eating mostly broad leaf weeds, leaves, and flowers of the right types.

Hay can be used if you finely chop it and then re-hydrate it by soaking it for a while as a way to add much needed fiber to grocery store greens. I use Timothy pellets in this way. I soak them and they crumble. I then mix that in with greens for added fiber.

The problem with trying it to see what happens is that if your substrate is sufficiently damp, as it should be, the hay will quickly mold.
Thank you!!