Alfalfa and hay

Aaron23

5 Year Member
My sulcata is around 3 years and is 20 to 25 pounds. Is he good to start eating alfalfa and hay? And is there certain kinds I need to get ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The grass hays are the best as they are not as stemmy and more palatable to the tortoises. Orchard grass hay is probably the best choice. I also get a regular Grass Hay that my feed store sells. The Orchard Grass is a bit better nutritionally so the best choice if available.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id say definitely old enough and large enough to be eating grass hay. It might take some persistence on your part. Cut it up in smaller pieces, place some other food on top (dandelions, mazuri, nopales, etc). Eventually they learn that it’s food as they gobble up the “known” good food.

Doesn't have to be organic - don’t think ive ever seen a bale of hay or grass or timothy labeled as organic.

Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also is he big enough to start eating these?
You can start them on hay at any size. Even babies if you take the time to cut it up super fine, soak it and mix it with other greens. I usually start them on hay at about 12". I just start feeding them their other foods on a bed of either orchard grass hay or Bermuda grass hay. After I while, I'll start sprinkling a little hay on top of the other foods. They take to it quickly and easily this way and begin eating the hay by itself within a few weeks.

I grow fresh alfalfa and feed them some from time to time, but I don't like alfalfa hay for tortoises. Too stemmy. I don't like Timothy hay for the same reason, although a large sulcata can certainly eat both if they want to.

I use bailed horse hay. To my knowledge, no one sells "organic" bales of horse hay...

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
I buy bales of bermuda hay at Tractor Supply. It's about $7 for a large rectangle bale here. See if you can find a similar store or co-op in your area and go talk to them.