Hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleybobl

5 Year Member
I have heard conflicting reviews on what type of hay is best for sulcatas. I know alfalfa is a no-no, but is there a "best" hay to feed? Also, at what age is generally when they actually seem to really start eating it well? :)

Flametorch

5 Year Member
When it comes to hay, whatever hay is the dried form of edible grasses for sulcatas, is good for them. Also they enjoy a varied diet, so multiple types of hay/ grasses should be provided; However, the types of hay that are easiest to get, that can be fed to you tortoises are Orchard hay (seen in the rabbit section of pet stores), timothy hay (also in rabbit sections), and though not recommended, alfalfa. But younger tortoises seem to enjoy fresh grass more, or store greens. I've heard some people soak the hay in water for a couple of minutes, and cut into small pieces to feed to their tortoises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Usually the hays you find in a pet store have been sitting on the shelf for quite a long time and have become very dry and brittle. If you have to resort to buying from a pet store, may I suggest that you take out one portion and soak that for a few minutes to remove the dust and make it softer for your tortoise.

If you have a feed store close by (that sells hay, horse and cattle food) then go and ask if you can pick up some of the stuff that has fallen from the bales. Some of them charge you for this and others let you pick it up for free. What you want is orchard grass hay, bermuda grass hay, timothy hay, brome, etc. Any kind of grass hay that is NOT alfalfa. Sudan grass is quite a common hay too, but when the seed heads of sudan grass get wet and mold, they turn toxic, so I would stay away from sudan too.

Yvonne

haleybobl

5 Year Member
I used to have tons of different hays for my chinchillas when I had them. I had everything from bluegrass to timothy types. Sounds like I may try to order in a small variey pack from the vendor I used to get it through. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Haley:

Is that a Frenchie in your avatar photo? They are just so cute! I am planning to get another doberman when my current one comes to the end of her time here on earth, but its going to be hard to not check the French Bulldog box instead of the Doberman box!!

Yvonne

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
never too early to start w/ hay in a tort diet. when gali was young and i had to "teach" him to eat it, i did use the dust on damp greens so he would get used to the taste of it. i was buying the botanical blend by the oxbow co. it worked out really well for me. when he got older (bigger mouth) i soaked the botanical hay and cut the pieces to about an inch long so it would mix in well w/ the greens and he couldnt pick it out, so glad i did, still it took 6 mos of work on my part, then BAM one day i found him eating a pile of hay on his own. now that hes bigger 27#s, the hay comes in handy because the greens alone can be pricey, he also has a great grazing yard that keeps him in food all year long. that boy of mine sure can eat. smiles, galileo & spring

haleybobl

5 Year Member
Does anyone have a variety they would be willing to sell me? I hate to buy a big bag for my TINY guy. It would go stale far before I could use it up. Plus it seems the shipping is twice as much as a bag of hay if I buy it from a normal website. My usual supplier is out of everything but regular timothy. Let me know, thank you! :)

haleybobl

5 Year Member
Yah, the hay is $5.25, and the shipping is $12.95. I know if I got just a bag full stuffed in a postal envelope, it shouldn't be nearly that much. I don't need that much hay for a month old. I hate how they keep raising shipping costs.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Depending on where you live, you should be able to get all you need from your yard or from some public land... Just get non-chemically treated (pesticide and fertilizers) stuff. Weeds like dandilions and plantain are favorites. And they will like fresh picked grass better than the dry hay. Around my property have have many types of grasses growing and leave areas wild so that it grows nice and tall and full of weeds. I don't buy anything for my turtles or torts and they eat like kings :)

haleybobl

5 Year Member
I would still like to get him used to actual hay, so it's an option if I so choose. I would like him to have a wide variety, with fresh greens as well.

chadk

10 Year Member!
The long grass you pick is hay... Just set it out to dry in the sun...

M

Maggie Cummings

Just go to your local feed store and ask'em if you can have some of their loose stuff. I collect enough to feed my 65 pound Sulcata all winter for free. They have tons of loose stuff laying under the bales. At first my feed store charged me $2, now they just tell me to go ahead. Last winter I collected almost a bale I'm sure...

haleybobl

5 Year Member
I am not a fan of our local feed store. Last I heard they had a cat wandering around their store with ringworm. I won't step foot in there now, ick.

Is anyone familiar with Bermuda hay?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ringworm is a fungus that is EVERYWHERE.
Bermuda hay is great..
my torts wont eat hay, they like to graze grass.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure where you live but you may want to check
out any riding stables or horse breeding farms in your
area. They'll certainly have high quality hay. Just stay away from the alfalfa
as previously mentioned.
The size of bales will vary but I'm sure you could buy just a flake
from someone.
We use the big 8x4 bales for our livestock and I'm able to
pick the choicest sections for our leopard.
Hope that helps.

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I buy the cube timothy hay from like petsmart and soak it, My sully does not like hay either but when soaked it is like grass; I lay it out to dry after I take it apart and sprinkle it on his food so he gets his hay;

Status
Not open for further replies.