Best type of Hay

bigdog

5 Year Member
With the lawn going dormant here in AZ, I was wondering what is the best type of hay to feed them. I did try a some bermuda grass (figured it would be similar to what she was eating from the lawn) but she didn't seem to care for it. The place nearby sells all types of hay for horses and cows so was wondering what is the best to feed her.

Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Whatever type you try, be sure it is fresh, mold free, dust free, and a lot of leaf per stem ratio. I love the orchard grass myself, it just plain smells good to me. :D My tortoises like it too. I like that as far as hays go, it's kinda soft.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used bermuda for years and it worked fine. I switched to orchard hay on the advice of a big breeder last year and I like it better. No reason you can't use both.

bigdog

5 Year Member
When we had horses back in WI we used alfalfa for them (interestingly hay was a LOT cheaper in WI too). Is alfalfa too hot for them? (I know some thought that when fed to horses) I'm not sure if this place has orchard hay. Is it more like a grass or a hay? I'm trying to find something she will not turn her nose up at like the bermuda grass. Thankfully I just have a flake of it as a trial.

As for the smell of it, I try not to do that as I'm allergic to it, as you can imagine picking up a load of hay for the horses and stacking it was not fun for me.. :)

argus333

5 Year Member
mix it with some dandelion greens and romaine slowly make it more hay then greens. none of my guys like alfalfa they like the softer less stick like hay. like orchard and bermuda.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have been feeding orchard grass hay. Like Tom, I was feeding mostly bermuda, but lately what has been available has been too dry and stalky. Same with the timothy. I like the orchard hay that I have been getting, leafy and fresh.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Alfalfa hay. My tortoises love it. Not all stems.

Scott

bigdog

5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions. The bermuda grass sample flake I got is also pretty dry maybe that is why she does not like it?? It is a lot softer than the alfalfa hay I remember feeding the horses. I'll have to see if they have orchard hay or something else.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Orchard grass hay is pretty soft. It is a type of grass, so not stemmy at all.

I wouldn't use alfalfa as a staple, and the hay is too stemmy. I grow my own and feed it fresh occasionally.

Many tortoises will not just walk up and eat new foods. To get your tort eating the bermuda, or any other hay, grab a hand full and chop it up finely with scissors. Put the chopped hay in a bowl with some water and let it soak a while. Then mix a small amount of your chopped soaked hay into a big pile of your tortoises favorite greens. Over time, soak the hay less and mix in a larger ratio.

What size sulcata are we talking about here. Many times the smaller ones don't care for dry hay. And most tortoises will choose green wet foods over dry hay if given the choice. If you continually feed all the fresh leafy greens your tortoise can eat, it will likely not care to nibble on the dry stuff.