Alfie has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Alfie arrived on Wednesday. He loves his baths and table, and so far dandilions are by far his favorite foods! He loves to climb and likes to see whats going on!

At the moment i have his UVB light on from around 730am till 7pm. Alfie has taken himself to bed at 5pm (last night) and 630 (previous) and has slept in untill gone 930 yesterday (went out so not sure of exact time) and again this morning he is still asleep. Is this much sleep normal? And if he takes himself to bed at 5pm should i just turn the lights off?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Yes, this much sleep for a young tort is normal. I would think you could turn off the UVB light when he goes to bed, but if you plan to overwinter him, I would leave some light on for 12-13 hours a day! Maybe leave a cheeper bulb on. You don't want hime to think the days are getting shorter and its time to hibernate!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Alfie Welcome and congratulations on your new home. Sounds like alfie is getting use to his new enviornment. Sometimes it takes a week or more for them to get into a routine. :)

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
congratulations! Can't wait to a pic of Alfie:)

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Tried to load a few pics , but they are all too big, must try and reduce the megapixels (i think thats the problem...) and will get some on here post haste!

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
There are free sites that let you host photos that are large, and will resize them for you. Photobucket seems to be popular, I love Flickr.com and Picasa (photos.google.com). Can't wait to see the photos!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
1212921ja8chvddca.gif

home, Alfie!!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome Alfie! I would leave the light on unless he's completely buried with no chance of coming up. You want to have a routine with the lights. The electricity of the one bulb is rather low (I calculated it once, lol). I have a feeling that torts don't "sleep" the whole time they are hiding away at night. My 1 year old tort spends less than 8 hours a day up and about, and some of that is napping too.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Think i have managed to resize a couple of pics...

Also, alfie is around 18months, how old will 'he' need to be before he can beproperly sexed?!

Attachments

• 101_1027-1[1].jpg
    101_1027-1[1].jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 101_1029-1[1].jpg
    101_1029-1[1].jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.