all opinions and experiences welcome

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
So I second @wellington Coco Coir. I'm not a leopard keeper but have noticed with the bark small pieces get stuck in the folds of neck skin. The Coco is soft and not a "Puncture" risk like the hard pieces of bark. We tried everything we could think of to eliminate the bark getting in the neck folds with no success, we now solely use Coco Coir.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Not a leopard keeper either, but I tend to avoid coir if we can, find it far too messy, I’m gonna go with orchid bark on this one but that’s just my preference😊
I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to a coir base with bark on top like wellington mentioned, I think it’d work really well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So I second @wellington Coco Coir. I'm not a leopard keeper but have noticed with the bark small pieces get stuck in the folds of neck skin. The Coco is soft and not a "Puncture" risk like the hard pieces of bark. We tried everything we could think of to eliminate the bark getting in the neck folds with no success, we now solely use Coco Coir.
Totally agree about the bark. I have even experience a hatchling getting poked and left a pin hole size mark.
With packing coir down and slate around the water dish, it can be a lot less messy and lot safer. But I do understand, that in the wild, they are on wood, stone, etc, and not coconut coir, so I will recommend both.

squamatasquamata

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the responses great feedback I have to admit I was kind of fishing here I am considering giving coco chips a try and wanted to see if anyone was already using this product, I'm thinking it may be less messy yet still capable of holding moisture to keep up humidity in my enclosures

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks all for the responses great feedback I have to admit I was kind of fishing here I am considering giving coco chips a try and wanted to see if anyone was already using this product, I'm thinking it may be less messy yet still capable of holding moisture to keep up humidity in my enclosures
I have always seen that the coco chips are dangerous to animals. It's from the coco bean/chocolate.
Years ago, when I first joined. The saying on most things, was, if it's not dangerous to other types of animals, it's likely safe for our tortoises. Of course like anything, that's not going to be true on 100% of things, but to me, that's another why risk it. No tortoise is going to be living on coco chips and they can be poisonous, so why chance it.
Just food for thought.

squamatasquamata

5 Year Member
This is the product I was referring to its not chocolate according to the package lol

Attachments

• 81z1f5WWx6L._AC_AA180_.jpg
    81z1f5WWx6L._AC_AA180_.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1

squamatasquamata

5 Year Member
So, my thought is its chips of coconut instead of an almost powder coco coir so not as messy and great moisture retention also not as hard texture wise as orchid bark

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
So, my thought is its chips of coconut instead of an almost powder coco coir so not as messy and great moisture retention also not as hard texture wise as orchid bark
Yeah I am definitely interested in the safety of these actually, I might go do some digging.. excuse the pun🤣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ok so I’ve very quickly given them a look over, from what I’m reading, they are safe as in not toxic or anything, however the chips are still quite fibrous, kind of like the husk substrate you can get, I’ve heard there’s be instances of impactions with stuff like that, so I’m inclined to say avoid these too and stick with orchid bark personally

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I have a leopard and a sulfate. I did use coco coir before I knew the old information I read on enclosures was wrong. When I upgraded each of them to a 4x4 I used cypress mulch. I actually only found the odd piece I didn't trust and took it out.

I would have liked to buy the orchid bark, the cost to have it shipped to me wasn't justified. When cypress mulch was so much easier to get my hands on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only coconut I wouldn't use is the strands or the mats. The mats I believe has something in them that isn't recommended for tortoises, plus I believe as they fall apart, they are strands.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is the product I was referring to its not chocolate according to the package lol
Chips are no good for tortoises. I use those for some of my snakes and lizards. The chips are too easy for a tortoise to swallow or choke on, and they are also difficult for them to walk on. They are good for snakes and lizards because they can burrow through them without damaging their snout.

The best substrate for them is orchid bark. Coco coir can work, but its messy. Keep it damp and hand packed, and it will be less messy, but still messy. Orchid bark retains good moisture, they don't choke on it, and it makes a solid walking surface for them.