Always wants to sleep now - early hibernation attempt?

Throttle

Location (City and/or State)
Jackson, WY
Our Russian tortoise did not hibernate this last winter, she wanted to at first then seemed to give up, so she has been awake through the fall and winter and now we are mid summer, she seems to want to go to sleep only. Her eating has decreased, even with her favorite foods, she walks around and then burrows, even after a bath and time spent in the outside garden. Her encloser is 7' x 3.5', has a high end UV light, large heat lamp, multiple plants and grow lights, and she used to chase her food around until about a month ago. Any ideas?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!

I don’t suppose you’d mind adding a bit more information? It might help us to advise🙂a photo of your full set up would be great!

What are temperatures in the enclosure like? Ie basking spot?(directly under the bulb) overall day temps? Night temps?

What kind of basking bulb is it you have? Packaging photos are handy!

What kind of uv bulb specifically?

What are you using for substrate and how’s your humidity reading?

How’s their diet been?🙂

Any additional info/photos would be good if you’re able😊

Throttle

Jackson, WY
Hello and welcome!

I don’t suppose you’d mind adding a bit more information? It might help us to advise🙂a photo of your full set up would be great!

What are temperatures in the enclosure like? Ie basking spot?(directly under the bulb) overall day temps? Night temps?

What kind of basking bulb is it you have? Packaging photos are handy!

What kind of uv bulb specifically?

What are you using for substrate and how’s your humidity reading?

How’s their diet been?🙂

Any additional info/photos would be good if you’re able😊
I will try to upload photos when I am home again (currently at work).

The enclosure ranges from 75 - 100 with that peak temp being in the direct basking light and the radiant heat around is in the 80's-90s. Its a T5 light from a german company who i can find again when home. The bulb is getting a little old and will be replaced next month when it hits a year in use.

We feed a vast mix of food, shooting primarily for timothy grass, cactus, aloe, dandelion, and other plants that have been approved on tortoise table. We did leave for spring break in March and she got more lettuce than we would feed because it was easier for the caretaker but she ate cactus and other foods after no problem.

Her substrate is a mix of coconut, dirt, and a tiny bit of sand that we mixed in which i learned after was not ideal but for 28 cubic feet of dirt, was not going to empty the entire enclosure to get rid of. She has multiple hiding spots and her food is served on slate and her water dish is terra cotta. The substrate is pretty dry as we live in Wyoming and in summer all moisture evaporates quickly but we give her at least one big bath a week and she gets outside time when shes awake and we are home. She drinks multiple times in her bath and while she was pooping more when eating regularly, I have not seen her poop in a while either which gives a little concern.

Generally she looks healthy, is reactive to touch and checkups (feet are out, shes looking around, eyes are normal color, no goop or abnormalities in any sense), and is active when outside of her enclosure.