Am I reading this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
So I just got the Zoo Med Powersun 100w UV bulb, and it said it is also a heat lamp. It surprised me to see the warm yellow glow when I turned it on, because I was expecting it to look like a tanning bed bulb (the way the coil uv light I had did).

Do I still need the old basking bulb, or does the powersun double as the basking bulb??

Thanks in advance!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
If you have mvb (mercury vapor bulbs) they are UVB and a heat lamp. Powersuns I believe are mvb bulbs and are UVB and heat. They get pretty warm think they make 100w and 150w bulbs. Also MvB bulbs put out a wider spectrum of light that's more natural and a more uvb's. and last a year instead of 6 months, good bulbs for reptiles.

Oh and your reading it right lol

Last thing that's technically the only bulb you need on your enclosure, but of course not sure on your set up or situation.

aamdericco

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania, USA
Awesome, thanks! My tortoise is becoming more active now that it has the mvb powersun.

She/he was having eye problems, but I just checked and both eyes are open now!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Make sure you have thermometers set up they get hot, also ceramic light fixture not a plastic one, that's just safer for you and your home

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just so you know and may be able to save some money on electric bill and make that bulb last longer. If you can get your tort outside for 30-60 minutes at least 3-4 times a week in the warm weather, you don't need a UVB light. So, what I do in the summer, I turn all lights off and use only a regular light bulb for some light in the inside enclosure until he goes to bed. I get mine out every day that the weather is warm enough. Saves the bulb from having to be used in the summer/ warm months. Also, as Millerlite stated, must be in a ceramic socket. Fire hazard if in plastic socket and they won't last as long. Also, if you have cold nights a ceramic heat emitter should be used for night time heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.