Amputated foot

Bridgebob

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Virginia
I found my little Eastern Box on the Bicycle trail here in the US State of Virginia. She was recently run over by a bicycle that resulted in an amputated front foot.

She is doing great - BUT -

I know her amputated front foot is still painful.

Is there some kind of 'shoe', 'sock', 'prosthetic' that will help?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I found my little Eastern Box on the Bicycle trail here in the US State of Virginia. She was recently run over by a bicycle that resulted in an amputated front foot.

She is doing great - BUT -

I know her amputated front foot is still painful.

Is there some kind of 'shoe', 'sock', 'prosthetic' that will help?
My tort has a left rear foot missing but I've no idea how that happened since he was found in a field and it had healed by the time I got him.

082.jpg

He manages well but I have to keep an eye on it for any cuts or grazes especially if he has been walking on hard surfaces in the garden. In the summer I use rubber mats to cover the path between his room and his grassy area to make it more comfortable for him.
If it bleeds I clean it up etc and make a little sock to protect it by cutting the fingers off a glove and use medical tape to secure it in place.
Some people use small wheels to replace lost legs, but I don't know if this would be suitable for your BT's foot, How bad is it - can you post a picture?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It will eventually callous over and become less sensitive, but you might try some of that elastisized tape they use for bandages?????

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
My tort has a left rear foot missing but I've no idea how that happened since he was found in a field and it had healed by the time I got him.

View attachment 340502

He manages well but I have to keep an eye on it for any cuts or grazes especially if he has been walking on hard surfaces in the garden. In the summer I use rubber mats to cover the path between his room and his grassy area to make it more comfortable for him.
If it bleeds I clean it up etc and make a little sock to protect it by cutting the fingers off a glove and use medical tape to secure it in place.
Some people use small wheels to replace lost legs, but I don't know if this would be suitable for your BT's foot, How bad is it - can you post a picture?
She manages fairly well but I can tell it's sensitive. It never bleeds

A wheel would be cool but she would have a learning curve.

Here is a photo.

Attachments

• 20220122_194133.jpg
    20220122_194133.jpg
    837.3 KB · Views: 20

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I'm going to get her a new pond soon. Being a baby I use these plates.

Most of her encloser bedding is coconut coir. So this doesn't bother her amputated foot. It's her feeding area and her pond.

Other than the amputation she is very happy.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She is so tiny, I don't think a wheel would really help too much because she would still want to use her front leg. The socks work ok for my tort because he's bigger and his gammy leg is at the back - out of nibbling reach, but when your tort pulls her legs in, the sock could come off near her mouth and it could be choking hazard.
I'm not sure what would work best for her, other than to just keep her off hard surfaces until it heals more.
She will always have a wonky walk, as my tort does, but she will adapt.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
She is so tiny, I don't think a wheel would really help too much because she would still want to use her front leg. The socks work ok for my tort because he's bigger and his gammy leg is at the back - out of nibbling reach, but when your tort pulls her legs in, the sock could come off near her mouth and it could be choking hazard.
I'm not sure what would work best for her, other than to just keep her off hard surfaces until it heals more.
She will always have a wonky walk, as my tort does, but she will adapt.
She does fine with her amputated foot most of the time. She is now engaging in her favorite activity - Sleeping.

Her pond is the only really hard surface for her. She is learning to manage her captivity pond. I've got to create a better pond!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Turtles are a lot tougher than we are but I can see it being a catch-22 Bob, the more she soaks it, the "softer" the stump becomes...........you've got quite a balancing act there my friend. Good think you're on it!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Did I ever tell you I have family in Gloucester? Anyhow, how long since she had that wound? What makes you think it hurts?

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
It hurts but only on hard surfaces. You can tell.

She's fine in her bedding. No pain

I still have to help her with her pond excursions. It's once a day.

I know she can do it by herself, but Im still helping her out.