'Toe nails'

Bridgebob

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Virginia
Do I have to get my Baby Eastern Box Turtle a Pedicure. She got run over by a bicycle and her front leg is amputated and her rear leg was broken but is fine now.

Her toenails are really strange. I'm too afraid to clip them. A couple of them look like something from Dracula!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
May I please see pictures of the feet? One of the signs that your turtle is suffering from a poor diet and maybe metabolic bone disease (MBD) is long, curling toenails.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
May I please see pictures of the feet? One of the signs that your turtle is suffering from a poor diet and maybe metabolic bone disease (MBD) is long, curling toenails.

She doesn't have curling toe nails some are just getting long!. She has an amputated front leg and I would put her on rougher surfaces to wear her nails down but I know it hurts her stumpy leg.

These are the best photos I could get. She hates being picked up and being peed on is no fun!

Attachments

• CARBUNCLE TOE NAILS 3.JPG
    CARBUNCLE TOE NAILS 3.JPG
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 39
  • CARBUNCLE TOE NAILS 2.JPG
    CARBUNCLE TOE NAILS 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • CARBUNCLE TOE NAILS.JPG
    CARBUNCLE TOE NAILS.JPG
    689.5 KB · Views: 40

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
She is tiny (compared to the hand) how old is she?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor little thing. No, no pedicure just yet. Baby box turtles do have longish toenails. in a few months if you notice they're not getting worn down as she walks because of her disability, then you can clip them.

Last edited:

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Poor little thing. No, no pedicure just yet. Baby box turtles do have longish toenails. in a few months if you notice they're no getting worn down as she walks because of her disability, then you can clip them.
She only has two longish nails. With her good legs she can cling onto her cave walls and it's a chore getting her out!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The eyes look extremely swollen as well. Can you post a clear photo of your turtle's head? What are you using for lighting?

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
She has a REPTISUN 5.0 UVB 13 /watts. It's screw in.

Don't get mad but I don't have a timer and I forget to turn it off! I see her in her pond rubbing her eyes. And she hides her eyes also while under her heat lamp and UV light.

I don't know how much time they need under UV light and this light is UVB.

She loves her heat lamp!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
She has a REPTISUN 5.0 UVB 13 /watts. It's screw in.

Don't get mad but I don't have a timer and I forget to turn it off! I see her in her pond rubbing her eyes. And she hides her eyes also while under her heat lamp and UV light.

I don't know how much time they need under UV light and this light is UVB.

She loves her heat lamp!

Coil type/screw in style UV bulbs are no good for turtles and tortoises. In addition to small amounts of UVB, they actually put out some much more damaging UVC light that cases the type of eye swelling that you are seeing. Turn the light off and do not use it over your turtle anymore.

Linear tube style UV bulbs Reptisun T5 5.0 or 10.0 is what you want.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Coil type/screw in style UV bulbs are no good for turtles and tortoises. In addition to small amounts of UVB, they actually put out some much more damaging UVC light that cases the type of eye swelling that you are seeing. Turn the light off and do not use it over your turtle anymore.

Linear tube style UV bulbs Reptisun T5 5.0 or 10.0 is what you want.

Thank you. I will try to get one as soon as I can. Other than her eyes she is very happy.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Turn the uvb radiation bulb off...some time without it won't hurt, but keeping it on will burn the corneas (skin of the eyes) and that can cause blindness if they scar.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I now know. She was constantly rubbing her eyes in her pond.

She wants to Brumate but at room temperature I don't know if this is good. They can sense the seasons.

I let her brumate most of the time but wake her up.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I now know. She was constantly rubbing her eyes in her pond.

She wants to Brumate but at room temperature I don't know if this is good. They can sense the seasons.

I let her brumate most of the time but wake her up.
Some of them wanna do what they're programmed to do no matter what you try. Just dig her up every few days and give her a good warm soak then offer food afterwards.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I think it would be better to increase the temperatures to prevent her from brumating so that her eyes can heal up.

You can keep the temps up with a ceramic heating emitter (CHE) in addition to the basking light.