How to trim a turtle's toenails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
Hi,

I've been on here before once or twice when I first got my rescue box turtle at the beginning of last summer. She is doing great, but I have a question. How do you keep your turtles' toenails at a manageable length?
Her front toes don't seem to be getting overgrown, and her beak doesn't either. Just her back toes. It's not too bad, but I don't want it to get out of control before doing something.
She has a concrete block as well as reptibark to dig in, but it just doesn't seem to be wearing her back toenails down.

Is there a way to trim them at home? Would using a pair of small-dog clippers work for this? I've been afraid to try it without asking someone first...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I prefer to use a Dremmel tool and just do a little at a time. Sometimes you can see the quick, so you will know where to stop. If not, use caution. Always have some styptic powder on hand and close by, BEFORE you start.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My female box turtles' back claws are usually a bit longer than the front to aid in nest digging.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
DVirginiana said:
Hi,

I've been on here before once or twice when I first got my rescue box turtle at the beginning of last summer. She is doing great, but I have a question. How do you keep your turtles' toenails at a manageable length?
Her front toes don't seem to be getting overgrown, and her beak doesn't either. Just her back toes. It's not too bad, but I don't want it to get out of control before doing something.
She has a concrete block as well as reptibark to dig in, but it just doesn't seem to be wearing her back toenails down.

Is there a way to trim them at home? Would using a pair of small-dog clippers work for this? I've been afraid to try it without asking someone first...

just use human clippers but don't go further than one or two millimeters at a time (depth of a dog clipper) if you already have a dog clipper that's fine too.. the quick will back up after a bit.. I think if you clip say every monday you'll be fine, once you get to where you want to be just do it monthly. The trick to using stone or concrete to keep them down is place it where the turtle paces

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
Thanks, I think I'll try the human clippers first and see how that works.

I've moved her concrete block around a time or two trying to trick her into walking on it more, but she just glares at me and starts digging in her reptibark again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.