Can this three toed boxie be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I was just going to suggest MBD and my sis beat me to it. As always...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
terryo said:
There is a possibility that a TT can mate with an Ornate, as you can see from the map.

range.jpg

The ranges overlap but not habitat. The three toed is a forest turtle and the ornate is a prairie turtle. The three toed lacks behavioral adaptations for survival on the prairie (a drier habitat than the woods). We should remember that we talking about two different species here; Terrapene Ornata (Ornate) and Terrapene Carolina (Eastern of which Threetoed is subspecies). Overlapping ranges on map don't tell the whole story. The only way I see a hybrid possible is under artifical conditions.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
austinl01 said:
Nice. I found a similar one in the wild last week. I have it's picture and will post it. I think the one I saw is a cross between a three-toed and an ornate. She's the most beautiful three-toed I have ever seen in the wild here.

Did you take one from the wild?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
in the relm of possibilty it is not uncommon for WILD ttbt and OBT's to meet and mate, it happens. though they do prefer differant habitats, they stumble into each other from time to time im sure. especailly at watering holes and etc, perhaps not the ost common hybrid but it is definatly found in nature

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Itort said:
terryo said:
There is a possibility that a TT can mate with an Ornate, as you can see from the map.

range.jpg

The ranges overlap but not habitat. The three toed is a forest turtle and the ornate is a prairie turtle. The three toed lacks behavioral adaptations for survival on the prairie (a drier habitat than the woods). We should remember that we talking about two different species here; Terrapene Ornata (Ornate) and Terrapene Carolina (Eastern of which Threetoed is subspecies). Overlapping ranges on map don't tell the whole story. The only way I see a hybrid possible is under artifical conditions.

So then it's probably a Three Toed. I've seen a few that looked like this with a lot of color on the face and neck. I think this little guy is going to be a beauty.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Three-toed hatchlings -

aAWESOMETHREES.jpg

See ruler for sizes -

a3babies.jpg

Plastrons -

a3belly-1.jpg

These are 3-6 months old... I don't have these now. I do not keep box turtles.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Are those yours Terry? Where have you been. It's good to see you here. I hope you've been well.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
These came from friends back in Oct. '05. Again... I do not keep box turtles.

BTW --- AGAIN -

The Ornate is a different turtle - Terrapene ornata ornata

The Three-toed is a different turtle - Terrapene carolina triunguis

Notice the different names? They are different species to the point that it is very unlikely that you have a hybrid! Even tho' their ranges
"cross".. Ornates are in the open areas - Three-toed are in the wooded areas. So in the unlikely event they would cross paths.. 'she' wouldn't smell right to him.. not to mention she wouldn't appreciate his advancements.. even if he did!

Did you notice the different "colors" of the babies posted? Hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.