Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bountiful, Utah
Hello all,

Quick question here.

Is there any care I should be doing for my sullies toenails?

some of them seem to be getting pretty long.

I have had her for about 10 months and have not done any toenail maintenance.

I got her as a hatchling in Jan of 2011.
I live in Utah so its cold a lot of the year, and with Daisy being so small and young, I did not let her stay outdoors all summer, I would just let her roam in the grass from time to time to get some natural sunlight and be outside for a bit, but with me working during sunlight hours, it wasnt too often that I was able to let her roam around outside. Maybe once or twice a week for an hour or two. But grass isnt going to help them file their own nails. haha.

This next summer, she will have an outdoor pen that will be enclosed to keep her safe from any nasties.

So do I trim her nails, or just let them be and when she gets in her pen in summer of 2012 they will naturally get filed down?

Thanks peeps!​

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I've read a piece of slate or flat rock put in the enclosure helps, feeding them on it helps trim beaks and them walking on it helps with the nails

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never had to trim any tortoises nails, but mine run around on rough surfaces all the time. I use flagstone for basking spots and they run around on dirt and rocks all day.

I think we need a pic to really be able to answer your question.

Ryan M

5 Year Member
Bountiful, Utah
Thanks for the replies Nikki and Tom.

And yeah, I should get some photos up for sure.
Its been a while since I posted any photos of her.

I am working right now, but I will get some photos up tonight.​

Gmoney

5 Year Member
I suggest the slate idea, but I did have to trim with the clippers once. They were so long that the slate wasn't doing anything. It's not fun to wait and catch his leg. It takes a long time, it's super stressful for you and the tort, and they can hurt themselves tugging their legs away. Like I said I couldn't really avoid it, so if you have to, take your time. Do it with a light behind him so you can see the quik (blood vessels in the nail). Once they're trimmed a slate or rock will keep them down.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
walking seems to keep them down.. what size of enclosure is yours in?
also, Ive seen soem have really bad nails but its due to a health issue... so pictures. please. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.