An injury? possibly and Growth Lines!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Satellite Beach, Fl
I was so happy to see yesterday that my sweet little Franklin had growth lines! Tara has some sort of injury... Shes had it since I got her. it looks like she chipped off a part of her plastron, between the scutes, and stuff will get stuck under it.

Tara's Plastron
from the side

SNC00648.jpg

from the top
SNC00647.jpg

overhead view
SNC00646.jpg

Tara's new growth
SNC00645.jpg

Franklins plastron... Growth lines
SNC00644.jpg

Franklin's Caprice
SNC00643.jpg

mazuri!! nom nom nom!
SNC00638.jpg

Running from me after i took too many pictures
Tara
SNC00650.jpg

Franklin
SNC00649.jpg

Dirty Tara
SNC00639.jpg

Here comes Franklin... Got more food????
SNC00640.jpg

Franklin coming to check out the camera
SNC00642.jpg

Hi There Tortoiseforum.org!
SNC00641.jpg

Any ideas on whats going on with the plastron injury? or should i just keep an eye on it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I love the pics....they are beautiful.....on the injury area/seam is the shiny stuff in the seam just water ? If there is not an actual break in the shell I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get scuffed too much as it is healing/wearing down smooth :shy: their spikes on their fro.t legs are AWESOME!

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I would just keep an eye on it. Looks like something may have chipped/scraped it when it was still delicate and new.

Very nice growth lines too. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because the pattern is asymmetrical, I would say she was hatched that way. It might have been sticking out a bit and broke off, but it doesn't match the other side, sort of like split scutes. I doubt there's anything about it to worry over.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
ok thanks guys... I wasnt sure what happened there... there doesnt seem to be redness or sensitivity... it just sticks up a little.. i try to keep her clean, it reminds me of getting stuff under my fingernails so ... I assume its uncomfortable for her!

Also.. their Toe nails are long, can i clip them? or am i just worrying too much?

ascott said:
I love the pics....they are beautiful.....on the injury area/seam is the shiny stuff in the seam just water ? If there is not an actual break in the shell I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get scuffed too much as it is healing/wearing down smooth :shy: their spikes on their fro.t legs are AWESOME!

yes its water and the 11:30am Fl sunshine! I love their legs too... Theyre just so primitave!

wrmitchell22 said:
Cute pics! I love the last one, lol, too cute!

Thanx! I do too! I figured everyone would like it... I thought he was going to taste the camera. Sweet little Franklin!

October said:
I would just keep an eye on it. Looks like something may have chipped/scraped it when it was still delicate and new.

Very nice growth lines too. :D

Im so glad to see that Franklin is growing, he's the smaller of the 2. And Tara is a little food hog, I feel like i can just watch her grow!

emysemys said:
Because the pattern is asymmetrical, I would say she was hatched that way. It might have been sticking out a bit and broke off, but it doesn't match the other side, sort of like split scutes. I doubt there's anything about it to worry over.

She IS crooked... i never noticed that! Im glad i asked you guys! Youre like my own personal tortoise encyclopedia! one day i will know as much as you guys do. Thanx Yvonne!
BTW ... I'm guessing that Maggie is your sister and Bob your nephew. I did a search on Bob and laughed so hard! her stories are the best! I hope my little guys dont sprout that much personality!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, my sister, Maggie, is a pretty good story teller. I just wish she'd continue on with the saga.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
emysemys said:
Yes, my sister, Maggie, is a pretty good story teller. I just wish she'd continue on with the saga.
She is a Great story teller! I was curious if she was a writer. Bob ripping the neighbor guy's shorts had me rolling. hilarious

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
*UPDATE* Both of my little guys have new growth lines ... again! Theyre Growing like puppies! Is it okay for them to show new growth so quickly? Its visually noticable... I havent measured the actual Growth Lines but at least 2mm since last week. Im wondering if Im feeding them too much. I know that if a dog grows too fast its bad tor their hips and such... is it the same for torts? Do they have growth spurts like mammals? am i just a loopy tort mommy? lol

EricIvins

5 Year Member
FranklinAndTara said:
*UPDATE* Both of my little guys have new growth lines ... again! Theyre Growing like puppies! Is it okay for them to show new growth so quickly? Its visually noticable... I havent measured the actual Growth Lines but at least 2mm since last week. Im wondering if Im feeding them too much. I know that if a dog grows too fast its bad tor their hips and such... is it the same for torts? Do they have growth spurts like mammals? am i just a loopy tort mommy? lol

Fast growth doesn't necessarily mean un-healthy growth........Thinking in terms of Mammals or warm blooded animals just doesn't work for these guys.......

Most Birds hit their Adult size within 3 months of hatching......Would you try to slow that needed growth?

What you're seeing is the Mazuri doing its job, and hopefully some of the nastyness will start smoothing out now that the animals are growing and doing well.......You're seeing healthy, hydrated growth, compared to the chalky white their growth lines were........Which means you're heading in the right direction......

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
EricIvins said:
FranklinAndTara said:

Fast growth doesn't necessarily mean un-healthy growth........Thinking in terms of Mammals or warm blooded animals just doesn't work for these guys.......

Most Birds hit their Adult size within 3 months of hatching......Would you try to slow that needed growth?

What you're seeing is the Mazuri doing its job, and hopefully some of the nastyness will start smoothing out now that the animals are growing and doing well.......You're seeing healthy, hydrated growth, compared to the chalky white their growth lines were........Which means you're heading in the right direction......

Cool, thanx eric! Im learning more everyday ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.