Animal lover in need of help and advice ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
They look great, make sure you give them some sun, even if its only a few hours every-once and awhile. Also they will hibernate, so I would keep them fully warm till you see a vet and they will most likely recommend not hibernating them this year I think.

You can also get some plastic kiddie pools for inside and outside one that is flipped with half of the bottom cut out. This will allow them to manage their heat.

They can climb that fence you have believe it or not. I have seed DTs climb a 4' brick corner, eastern sonorans are natural rock climbers. Once you get a perm housing, just make sure you put a lip on the corners, I have not seen one get past that yet.

Good luck and welcome to the good life!

Also, be sure to wash you hands well after handling them, Samonilla is a serios concern with all reptiles. Be cautios with little children around them for washing them and hurting the tort.

Dogs and tortoises do not make good buddies even long time "friends" sometimes end up chewing on the shell. If you make an outdoor pen for the guys and a dog, just make sure you enclose it with wire or something.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
How about an outdoor enclosure versus the basement? It'd give them much more room, as well as proper surface to walk on.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
The OP is in New York, and it is much too cold for them to be outside right now. They have a new indoor enclosure.

As far as hibernation, I had my Gopher for over 10 years, he never hibernated and did just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.