Another name for plantain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have seen several times that plantain is good for tortoises. But the only thing I know as "plantain" is a fruit that's very much like a banana, and I'm sure that's not right. I'm trying to find other names, or even the scientific name of the "weed" plantain to try and get some for my Hermann's. Anybody know???

mikeh

5 Year Member
Plantago major

1378185428719.jpg

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Last edited by a moderator:

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Peter tends to like Plantago lanceolata (narrowleaf plantain) more than the broader varieties, major and media. He loves them all, but if he gets to pick, he will go for the narrow ones first. The broader varieties tend to survive longer in an enlcosure, because they seem to tolerate bein "trampled to death" more.

Btw: If you ever sit/stand/fall into a patch of stinging nettle, you can rip off a plantain leaf, chew or otherwise mangle it until the sap comes out a bit and spread it on the afflicted part, it will help soothe the pain/stinging. Of course I NEVER had to resort to that... Nope... :p

They also take pretty well to being transplanted from a yard or a field to an enclosure, as they won't have roots that dig down very deep. I've had the highest succes rate with transplanting adult plantains, in comparison to other plants. 75% of the rest dies when I try that.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Plantago lanceolata

1378185701409.jpg

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed both varieties to all of my tortoises. Its good stuff and if you can find some that has gone to seed, the seeds are easy to collect and plant it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.