Another newbie...

Kit123

Hi, I am another newbie!
I am in the UK and currently looking after an elderly relatives tortoise, George, while they are in hospital.
I have known George my entire life as he was originally my mothers.
He has previously had an entire, though small, garden to roam in during the day and then a box with straw which he would happily take himself off to at night. His diet for the past 60 years seems to have been mainly dandelion leaves, peas and various garden plants he decided to chomp on!
Now as I have been tasked with his care I want to make sure I get it right, he is very very loved by all the family. I am a little worried though as a lot of what I have read on info sites seems to be the complete opposite of how he has been cared for the past 60 years!
I think I will be asking many many advise questions.
Please bear with me

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Mostly on forums and listservs we talk about tortoises being kept in habitats. George has been kept like a wild tortoise. He is able to wander around a large area and eat whatever edible plants and weeds he finds there. We all should strive to be able to set up our tortoises like George is set up.

Just keep doing what your family has been doing for 60 years, and here's hoping George has another 40 plus years left in him!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kit, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and George.
Not going to try to interfere in a tried and tested system.
Send our love to George.
We'd love to see a photo if that's possible.

Steve_carter

UK
Welcome Kit & George. Photos would be great when you get chance.