Another noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNest

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charlottesville, VA
Hello everyone. New to the forum, obviously haha, I currently don't have a tort to call my own. :( But I hope to change that in the near future.

I use to have two CDT hatchlings a few years back. I had to give them up when I got accepted to a college in WV. That was extremely hard to do. I found an experienced keeper to care for them. But what I didn't expect is that person attempting to take them on a move to the midwest. Found out later they didn't make the move. Beyond upset about that.

I'd love to have one again but I don't plan on being in California again. The closest we'll come to that is AZ. Which we plan on next year. It's been a while so I'm not sure/don't remember if CDT are allowed in AZ. So until that move happens we are contemplating a different type of tort. No real big hurry but I sure do miss having one.

Looking forward to chatting and learning from everyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

While I understand your love of the desert tortoise (it is also one of my favorites), I'm sure there are other species that are equally as endearing. You might take a look at the Russian tortoises. And if you have a large yard, a sulcata is VERY people oriented (after the baby stage).

It's a shame about your babies. Here you did the right thing and found them a home where they could stay in their home state, and that home turned out to be not the best thing at all. I feel very upset for you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) That is sad about your babies, some people, ugh. Good luck on your research and making a decision on which one to get.

CNest

5 Year Member
Charlottesville, VA
Thanks for the welcome!

Its been a while and it STILL gets me upset. Sulcatas and Russians are on our "possibilities" list. It's going to be tough to settle on one. Haha

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
In my opinion, Sulcatas are one of the most friendly of all tortoises, if that matters. In terms of personality, etc etc. But I've never had or worked with Russian tortoises, so it's hard to say. Sulcatas definitely are not for everyone... :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Do you want a big species of tortoise or a smaller one?

CNest

5 Year Member
Charlottesville, VA
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Right now I'm not really size restricted per say. I wouldn't want to go larger than a sulcata. Haha Although I admit the Aldabara's are AWESOME. I want to lean towards something not so common but I really love an animal with personality. Also I haven't kept a tort in a while. My husband has never had the pleasure of owning one. So I'm leaning towards something that is beginner friendly. But always open to other options.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Welcome to the forum! Pancake are awesome to have but the breed has yet to become people oriented since most are wild caught and people friendliness has yet to be bred into them, they are also easy to keep and stay small, adults reach up to 7inchs.

CNest

5 Year Member
Charlottesville, VA
Thanks for the welcome! I've been looking at pancakes as well. They are definitely unique. So many choices! Plus the pluthera of names one could use is endless. Haha There is someone local to me that has two Herman tortoises they want to rehome for 75 bucks. But I'm hesitant. I REALLY want a tort but I don't want to rush into anything. Also leery of anything CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.