Another pancake question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coral Springs, FL.
I'm designing a table for my pancakes this weekend and was wondering what I should use as substrate, how humid and what temps. I live in Florida, so humidity is NEVER a problem. There is plenty of it to go around.

Also, my male was yawning a lot tonight. Is this normal? He was also darting his head in and out of his shell.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I live in upstate New York so our ambient humidity levels are definitely different but I keep my Pancake tortoises on a substrate that consists of about 80% organic soil (topsoil or potting soil) and 20% coconut coir with good sucess. My problem is not humidity, but the lack of it. Because of this I spray the enclosure once daily and once a week saturate well and mix the substrate up. I also have several flat rocks, along with crevices built from rocks for hiding throughout the enclosure. I think that it is a misconception that because Pancake tortoises are from Africa that they inhabit completely dry environments. While the areas around them that are exposed to heat and intense sunlight are probably dry much of the time, they retreat to cooler hiding areas encompassed by rock that is likely cooler inside and probably more moist due to some minor condensation. Mine are kept in a dedicated room along with my Northern Mediterranean tortoises. They average ambient daytime temperatures are in the low mid 70's to lower 80's with temperatures directly under the Pancakes basking light being about 120 degrees. Ambient room humidity ranges from about 55-65%. Mine have very good weight, very alert and active (at least as active as normal for Pancakes)!

Are you sure that your male is just yawning? If he is constantly opening his mouth wide and extending his neck in and out there could either be something lodged in his throat or if there is wheezing or gurgling it could be a respiratory problem.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
He only did the head yawn thing last night. He ate this morning just fine. I'll keep an eye on him to see that it doesn't continue. The other thing he does is puls his body, similar to how a chameleon walks. I also noticed my female doesn't seem to be eating. Possible egg?

And let me thank you for your reply too.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If his "yawning" is a frequent action then it may be more than just simple yawning. If by "pulse" his body you mean that his body appears to sway slightly back and forth as he walks, this is perfectly normal. Because of their mode of locomotion tortoises don't walk in a perfect straight line when moving forward.

It would depend greatly on how long you believe that your female has not been eating, along with other actions whether or not she is gravid. Not eating alone is not an exclusive sign of being gravid. A gravid female will usually, (but not necessarily always) stop feeding for a short period of time before nesting. She may also drink more water than normal, sniff the ground, paw at the ground with her front feet while sniffing or even dig test holes for a nest. This may or may not take place, depending upon how much privacy she has from other tortoises, especially males. Temperature, light duration and intensity and substrate moisture will usually determine if and when a gravid female will nest. If she is gravid the important thing is to make sure that she has favorable conditions to nest so that she does not carry an egg longer than necessary. Doing this can cause potential problems.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
By "pulse" I mean when he's sitting still his limbs are "pulsing" in resting position. Not while he's walking. He walks normal, eats normal. I've only had him for a few days and they are very new to me.

As far as the female goes, what are the ideal condition for nesting? I'm so new at this. Had I known it was season for eggs I would have waited till after the season JUST so I could have learned more first. NO MORE PET STORES OR REPTILE STORES FOR ME!!!!

My next torts will only be through breeders!!!(Greeks, if I can find a good source)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The "pulsing" is just breathing. You see it more in babies than in larger tortoises.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
Thank you. That sets my mind at ease. I was getting worried. Now I need to figure out if my female is getting ready to nest or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.