Basic Pancake Tortoise Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellbound

5 Year Member
Based on the feedback I got here regarding my other question about having a tortoise and a pool, I think I might be interested in a Pancake Tortoise to keep inside.

1. Generally, do Pancakes need attention? Do they need to be played with much or are they like the larger tortoise with regards to this?

2. Do they like to be held? Will they sit on a couch or table with you while watching TV or working on a computer? OR do they get anxious and want to move much?

3. Are there any real issues with having a Pancake and an baby or small child?

Thanks everyone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi bellbound (did you ever tell us what we can call you?):

In my opinion, tortoises are not interactive pets. They should have a nice, big, safe habitat and that's where they should stay. All the time. Their first habitat should be outside, with their secondary habitat indoors during inclement weather.

Tortoises have not gone through years and years of human intervention, thus, they are still wild animals. They need to have their basic needs taken care of and then leave them alone.

Children tend to touch the turtle/tortoise then put their hand in their mouth. There's always a risk of transmitting salmonella and hands should be washed after tending to the tortoise.

bellbound

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

Sorry, my name is Michael.

I know that larger tortoise are not interactive, I grew up with two of them as a kid. Just wasn't sure how similar Pancake tortoise are, I held one once and it seemed calm and liked to be pet, through it was only for a brief time.

Are you suggesting that Pancake tortoises should be outside also? Outside in some sort of aquarium OR outside roaming free? Not sure how well it would do roaming in my backyard -- lots of hawks, owls, snakes, crows and lizards, not sure how many of these potential predators exist in their natural habitat, plus with the size of my backyard I don't think I'd ever find it again.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Make an enclosure outside with some cinderblocks, wooden planks, etc. Cover the enclosure with wire mesh to keep predators away. Provide plenty of shade and water. Many people bring their torts in at night (especially if theyre a smaller breed) and during cool times of year.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree with Yvonne's statements. Not knowing where in the country you are located I would hesitate to recommend that you keep Pancake tortoises outdoors, even for short periods. Unless you're living the far south (east, west or central) most of the rest of the climate in the U.S. is not suitable to keep Pancake tortoises outdoors for any length of time. They're climbing ability should also never be unestimated when considering outdoor housing either.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michael:

No, LOL!! I wasn't suggesting for you to let your pancake tortoise have the run of the yard. You have to build a habitat for him. You can make it eye-appealing and a nice addition to your landscape. You could put in rocks with crevices, etc...but there would be an outer wall that the tortoise can't climb and escape. It could be something like a flower bed with tall sides. The weather in Ventura should be pretty nice for a good part of the year and your tortoise really would benefit from being outside as much as possible.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. I've had pancakes for years. They are a very amusing tortoise to watch as well many other species of tortoise. But going along with everyone else, tortoises need to be kept in same respects as fish. Taken care of and in a nice perfect clean environment but just observed. From time to time you can pick them up. They don't really like it especially pancakes. They are a very reclusive species, living in rocks and crevices in the wild. The best thing for them would be outside with a good amount of shade and plenty of hiding spots. Like plants that are age for them and flagstone placed over two bricks or blocks so they can retreat under it whenever they feel like it. This plays a role also where you ate located. Pancakes can't handle cold weather. So they need to be outside with a minimum of 75 (at Max) low temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.