How much do pancake tortoises eat?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I really want pancake tortoises, but I can’t currently have pancake tortoises, so I’m asking questions to keep myself sane. Out of curiosity, how much do they eat compared to most other similarly sized species? My 5 inch Russian will devour a huge pile of food and my sulcata keeps an entire yard trimmed short, but with pancakes’ much smaller shell volume and seemingly reclusive nature, it seems hard to believe that they’d eat nearly as much or spend as much time grazing. Can anyone confirm or deny?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I really want pancake tortoises, but I can’t currently have pancake tortoises, so I’m asking questions to keep myself sane. Out of curiosity, how much do they eat compared to most other similarly sized species? My 5 inch Russian will devour a huge pile of food and my sulcata keeps an entire yard trimmed short, but with pancakes’ much smaller shell volume and seemingly reclusive nature, it seems hard to believe that they’d eat nearly as much or spend as much time grazing. Can anyone confirm or deny?
I haven't kept Pancake Tortoises for years, but I think you would be surprised that they can eat quite a bit for their size as I recall. Definitely not as much as a sulcata for their size, but a pretty good amount nonetheless.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I haven't kept Pancake Tortoises for years, but I think you would be surprised that they can eat quite a bit for their size as I recall. Definitely not as much as a sulcata for their size, but a pretty good amount nonetheless.
I totally believe I would be surprised. I’m still surprised by how much my Russian will eat every feeding. They’re like bottomless pits, I almost don’t know where they fit it all.

Reactions: myk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will eat as much as any other tortoise their same size.

And not all of them are reclusive. Certainly some are, but I've seen outgoing ones too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You said you were asking questions to keep yourself sane. So, are there any more questions?

myk

London ontario
I wanted to get pancakes, I read up on them,,they will eat quite a bit, remembering where they originally from, dry season and the foods available, mainly grasses,,unlike most other tortoises, they get along very well in a community of them with proper space,,and they like to drink from crevices n puddles,,they like it hotter then most other species,,I'll probably pick up a couple pancakes later this year, for now I newly acquired 11 yr old leopard femal, and a 4 1/2 yr old male leopard tortoise ,n man can they eat,