how much do they eat?

pgrbff

Location (City and/or State)
Langhe Piemonte
My wife recently found what I believe is a western Hermann walking along a deserted road. I have it outside but I have never seen it grazing. It won't eat dandelion leaves, seems to like wild rocket, but I think it may not be too good for him. The thing he eats most is frise or curly endive. How much would a 14cm Hermann eat a day? I haven't seen him drink from his bowl eiher. he spends all day marching up and down the wall of his enclosure trying to climb out. He eats apple from my hand but I know it isn't good for him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
If you post a picture of the tort you'll get a definite ID and help in setting up a safe enclosure.
I think you may be in Italy so he's probably one of the Mediterranean/Temperate species in which case this caresheet will help you
That covers diet etc, but you're right fruit isn't good for them as they can't deal with sugars.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to safe foods.
If you think of the shell as an upturned bowl feed that amount to start with but if he wants more feed more, they are grazers and will return for food several times.
Always have fresh water available in a shallow plant saucer with gentle sloping sides large enough for him to self soak in. A luke/baby warm soak will also help hydrate him; the general rule is that water should should only come up to where the top and bottom shells meet - but always below head level when he's resting or standing.
The fact he's not eating weeds makes me wonder if he's an escaped pet that's used to shop food, so it may be worth asking if anyone has lost one (without too much detail and ask any one claims him for pictures or distinguishing marks so you make sure you find the right owner). If not congratulations on your new addition, there's lots of help available here and I hope you'll keep us updated on his progress.

pgrbff

Langhe Piemonte
He eats nowhere near that much. Not that I have ever seen him graze. It's a very small community and we would have heard by now if he was an escapee, more likely someone let him go. I tried him with a neighbour's tortoise but the other constantly chased him and bit at his legs. The other is similar but larger. The neighbour also knows litle or nothing about hers as he to was found wandering.

Attachments

• flash2.jpg
    flash2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They are solo so definatly no friend required. They can infect each other so avoid other tortoise meet ups. If your happy to take it on and have checked at vets and rescue places for an owner then go for it as they are rewarding.
1st please read care sheet they need heat, light, substrate, diet, water and regular soaks and good size enclosures inside and out depending on your climate.
2nd get the correct setup
3rd get a routine for daily diet, water and soaks.
4th keep a weekly weight log. Use kitchen scales and an upturned cup to balance him on.

For food and water dishes use flower pot water bases. Ideally food dish is terracotta as that helps beak trimming.

Out if interest can you photo and share 1. Rear inc tail and Head out and side on with claws so we can see if male or femal and general health.
This forum is helpful for advise as you go.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He eats nowhere near that much. Not that I have ever seen him graze. It's a very small community and we would have heard by now if he was an escapee, more likely someone let him go. I tried him with a neighbour's tortoise but the other constantly chased him and bit at his legs. The other is similar but larger. The neighbour also knows litle or nothing about hers as he to was found wandering.
I don't think he's a Hermanns so possibly a Greek or Russian, someone better at IDing will be able to help, but the caresheet I linked covers all Med species, so just follow that and he should do well. Do you know if your area has any native wild torts?
No, they don't like company even if the same species or male/female because they are solitary and territorial creatures and can inflict serious injury and even kill another tort on his patch. Groups of same species may be OK if they have enough space and cover to spread out and avoid each other but they also have to be quarantined for a good while before being introduced into such groups so that any disease isn't spread.
Torts don't like change and this could affect their appetite; they can go quite a long time without food but they must be have water and be kept hydrated. So I wouldn't worry too much yet - just let him settle and make sure he has safe weeds and some of the good foods available at all times.

pgrbff

Langhe Piemonte
I don't think he's a Hermanns so possibly a Greek or Russian, someone better at IDing will be able to help, but the caresheet I linked covers all Med species, so just follow that and he should do well. Do you know if your area has any native wild torts?
No, they don't like company even if the same species or male/female because they are solitary and territorial creatures and can inflict serious injury and even kill another tort on his patch. Groups of same species may be OK if they have enough space and cover to spread out and avoid each other but they also have to be quarantined for a good while before being introduced into such groups so that any disease isn't spread.
Torts don't like change and this could affect their appetite; they can go quite a long time without food but they must be have water and be kept hydrated. So I wouldn't worry too much yet - just let him settle and make sure he has safe weeds and some of the good foods available at all times.
I put him in warm water a couple of times a week and he has plenty to forage. He has fresh water in a clay dish every day. We are too far north I think to have any natives and I also think it highly unlikely someone local would buy tortoise food. Even dogs and cats here often get human leftovers and stale bread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Your new tortoise will settle down in a couple weeks, once he realizes his needs are all attended to in his new home, and he's safe from predators. He's trying to escape because he's not used to being within containment.

Are there any tortoises indigenous to your area of the world? I'm wondering if he's a wild tortoise. If that's the case it would be best to let him go and be a wild tortoise. But if he's NOT from your geographical area, it's probably against your country's laws to let him go, so don't do that.

Once he settles down, he'll start eating. They won't allow themselves to starve. Make sure he has plenty of hiding places, fresh water and food.

pgrbff

Langhe Piemonte
Hi, and welcome!

Your new tortoise will settle down in a couple weeks, once he realizes his needs are all attended to in his new home, and he's safe from predators. He's trying to escape because he's not used to being within containment.

Are there any tortoises indigenous to your area of the world? I'm wondering if he's a wild tortoise. If that's the case it would be best to let him go and be a wild tortoise. But if he's NOT from your geographical area, it's probably against your country's laws to let him go, so don't do that.

Once he settles down, he'll start eating. They won't allow themselves to starve. Make sure he has plenty of hiding places, fresh water and food.
I built him a stone shelter on day one and filled it with hay. This is where he tends to sleep although I do occasionally find him with his head in a corner in the shade with his head, tail, and legs tucked in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My wife recently found what I believe is a western Hermann walking along a deserted road. I have it outside but I have never seen it grazing. It won't eat dandelion leaves, seems to like wild rocket, but I think it may not be too good for him. The thing he eats most is frise or curly endive. How much would a 14cm Hermann eat a day? I haven't seen him drink from his bowl eiher. he spends all day marching up and down the wall of his enclosure trying to climb out. He eats apple from my hand but I know it isn't good for him.
What size is the enclosure?

pgrbff

Langhe Piemonte
What size is the enclosure?
At the moment only about 2m square. I didn't want to go mad until I was reasonably sure no. one was going to turn up and claim him. he has various rocks and bits and pieces to play with but he is just intent on climbing the walls. I do let him ou once a day to have a stroll.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At the moment only about 2m square. I didn't want to go mad until I was reasonably sure no. one was going to turn up and claim him. he has various rocks and bits and pieces to play with but he is just intent on climbing the walls. I do let him ou once a day to have a stroll.
They need something at least 122x244cm, or they will be incessantly trying to escape. Much bigger than that would be better.

The daily strolls increase this angst to get out, and are also very dangerous. That is likely how this tortoise came to you, if it is not wild and endemic to your area. I would stop doing that right away.

pgrbff

Langhe Piemonte
They need something at least 122x244cm, or they will be incessantly trying to escape. Much bigger than that would be better.

The daily strolls increase this angst to get out, and are also very dangerous. That is likely how this tortoise came to you, if it is not wild and endemic to your area. I would stop doing that right away.
I think it is quite possible it has been in the wild for some time. My neighbours tortoise lives in a small part of the garden adjacent to the house. We can get a couple of metres of snow over the winter but the tortoise is left to fend for itself. It burrows under a bush and emerges every spring.

snowman04

Saline
Looks very much like my Greek...

snowman04

Saline
He's about 14 months and 129 grams. Eats like a little horse!

Attachments

• 20220709_153340.jpg
    20220709_153340.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 5