Baby Tortoise Still Not Eating

agarrison

Location (City and/or State)
Portland
Hi Everyone,

I have a young hermann tortoise (actually my second one). I got him last April after saving him from a petstore that was not taking care of him. He has an injury snout / nose area as well. Every since I got him he wont eat solid foods. He was on antibiotics for this first two weeks of getting him because he was so sick and wouldnt even open his eyes.
He is still alive and kicking but I have to give him nutrient baths since he won't eat any foods and he is still non active. His eyes open and he is very alert when giving baths though. My other tortoise on the other hand is a wild child, very active, eats everything and anything. Looking for help on what I should do to get him to eat!

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everyone,

I have a young hermann tortoise (actually my second one). I got him last April after saving him from a petstore that was not taking care of him. He has an injury snout / nose area as well. Every since I got him he wont eat solid foods. He was on antibiotics for this first two weeks of getting him because he was so sick and wouldnt even open his eyes.
He is still alive and kicking but I have to give him nutrient baths since he won't eat any foods and he is still non active. His eyes open and he is very alert when giving baths though. My other tortoise on the other hand is a wild child, very active, eats everything and anything. Looking for help on what I should do to get him to eat!

Thanks!
Hello and welcome.

Most of the care info found out in the world is all wrong. Let's start by giving you the correct care and housing info to make sure there aren't any of the common mistakes there. Posting pics of the enclosures will help too.

You said young, but since they can live over 100 years, what is young? What size is the tortoise in grams?

The next thing to consider is the time of year. Its time for them to brumate and they know this even when kept inside. So is this lack of appetite something that has recently crept in with Fall, or is it a general thing that has been going on since you got him in April. More here:

agarrison

Portland
Hello and welcome.

Most of the care info found out in the world is all wrong. Let's start by giving you the correct care and housing info to make sure there aren't any of the common mistakes there. Posting pics of the enclosures will help too.

You said young, but since they can live over 100 years, what is young? What size is the tortoise in grams?

The next thing to consider is the time of year. Its time for them to brumate and they know this even when kept inside. So is this lack of appetite something that has recently crept in with Fall, or is it a general thing that has been going on since you got him in April. More here:

Hi Tom,
So he is actually my second tortoise. I am really unsure on age since the store did not know when I got him only that he was a baby. I would say he is under 2. I have had my first one for almost 10 years.

He cant be anymore than a pound but I would have to weight him to find out. It is becoming winter BUT he has never eaten solid foods to be honest so the lack of appetite has been since I got him in April.
Again he was treated for two weeks for a bunch of infections and illness the pet store did not take care of. Its been all nutrient baths and liquids since I got him.

I would typically never buy from a generic pet store but I was determines to save him haha I felt so bad for the little guy. I attached a picture of him from a few months ago after a bath. You can see his injury here too.
I have a handmade two story vivarium ranges from 85 - 100. I have basking spots and UVB bulbs. My other hermann has never had issues or problems at all. I used zoomed eco earth loose coconut fiber substrate.

Attachments

• IMG_5582.JPG
    IMG_5582.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,
So he is actually my second tortoise. I am really unsure on age since the store did not know when I got him only that he was a baby. I would say he is under 2. I have had my first one for almost 10 years.

He cant be anymore than a pound but I would have to weight him to find out. It is becoming winter BUT he has never eaten solid foods to be honest so the lack of appetite has been since I got him in April.
Again he was treated for two weeks for a bunch of infections and illness the pet store did not take care of. Its been all nutrient baths and liquids since I got him.

I would typically never buy from a generic pet store but I was determines to save him haha I felt so bad for the little guy. I attached a picture of him from a few months ago after a bath. You can see his injury here too.
I have a handmade two story vivarium ranges from 85 - 100. I have basking spots and UVB bulbs. My other hermann has never had issues or problems at all. I used zoomed eco earth loose coconut fiber substrate.
You care and conditions all sound good, but if the tortoise has an underlying injury causing this problem, I don't think we can offer much help. It is what it is. It sounds like you are doing everything I know how to do.