Another source of UVB UVA aside from mvb and the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, what is another good source of UVB UVA aside from mvb and the sun. I am looking to add something else to the tank. The tank is plenty humid but I think his pyramiding is coming from the mvb light he likes to sit to the side of the light and his pyramiding is only on the side. So I wanna add more UVA UVB any help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tube Fluorescent light.

Also, if the temps is too high under the mvb that may be the reason he sits to the side. The flourescent isn't as good as the mvb, but will work.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
My temp gage only reads 90 to 100 too hot? He ha never once sat directly under it even when it's cooler.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
90-100 isn't too hot. Is the humidity 80% or more? If so, try switching the mvb for the flourescent and see if it makes a difference. You can buy the fixture at a hardware store, or like a Home Depot. Cheaper then buying the ones at a pet store or aquarium store. However, the bulb, will have to be the reptile ones.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Right now I have the humidity at 86 percent mister goes off every two hour warm water.
He still looks a little dry even with the humidity. Once the mister goes off he gets misted till he dries off under the lamp on the humid side. Tmrw I am building a humid hide that he will hopefully use.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everything sounds right. How often are you soaking and does he have a water bowl available to him? If I remember correctly, he should be around the age of my Tatum, almost 2, around 21-22 months? I soak mine every other day. Now I do not have a mister like you do, however, maybe the soaking would help more then just the misting? I really don't know what else to tell you. Things sound right. He just may have a certain amount if pyramiding that is going to happen, from before you got him?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I will get a pic for you guys tonight. I soak him every other day as well. I think the pyramiding I from the breeder he was kept somewhat dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.