Another Speedy needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

santaclara

5 Year Member
This is gonna sound weird but we had a tortoise named Speedy too. He disappeared from our back yard on July 11, 2010. We still have not found him (August 16). We have signs up in the neighborhood and I've posted on CL repeatedly.
Can anyone suggest other tactics to find him/her?

We were actually borrowing from someone who was borrowing from someone else, so...from looking at pictures I believe it's a Russian and obviously don't know what gender it is.
We live in Santa Clara, CA. I may just buy my friend a new one because we just feel so bad.

Attachments

• speedy.jpg
    speedy.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 83

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Doesn't look like a russian to me, it actually looks like a reeve's turtle. A water turtle based on the shape of the shell.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Local paper, vets, animal control are good places to contact.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Poor thing. It is a Reeves. Probably a good thing he did escape given his captive conditions.

santaclara

5 Year Member
harris said:
Poor thing. It is a Reeves. Probably a good thing he did escape given his captive conditions.

Can you enlighten me? I am a novice.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's a semi aquatic turtle who was kept like a tortoise. I can't imagine getting a turtle and not looking it up to see what it was so I could take proper care of it. Google is so simple.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My reeves turtle def. likes the shallow water they are not real strong swimmers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You got the turtle from a friend and you were going by what your friend told you. Good thing you found us and we can set you straight on the turtle's care. If you find him, you need to set him up in water.

One thing to know about water turtles is they can't swallow their food unless they are submerged in water.

Good luck finding Speedy. I hope this story has a happy ending!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No wonder Speedy took off. I'm with Maggie on this one. Good luck on finding Speedy, and if you do find him, make sure you tell your friend or who ever is going to take care of him to do some research.

santaclara

5 Year Member
Thank you folks for your comments. To put you at ease a bit, we had a water dish that he could fit in and we put his food in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.