Tortoise identification help?

dzi9l3

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
We posted a report in case he’s someone’s pet and will put up signs in case he belongs to someone in the neighborhood. We found him in our pool area and moved him to the courtyard so he wouldn’t drown. We think he dug under the gate to get in, but no idea why. Any idea what species this is?

FCF959F5-FC30-4922-9A86-F4EC0BC8E0C0.jpeg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
We posted a report in case he’s someone’s pet and will put up signs in case he belongs to someone in the neighborhood. We found him in our pool area and moved him to the courtyard so he wouldn’t drown. We think he dug under the gate to get in, but no idea why. Any idea what species this is?
Sonoran Desert Tortoise. They are a local species to Arizona.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks like a desert Tortoise, native to your area, and more than likely illegal to take from the wild.

dzi9l3

Arizona
[
Looks like a desert Tortoise, native to your area, and more than likely illegal to take from the wild.

I was afraid of that. Is there a sanctuary of some sort? Should I have left him alone in the pool area?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 254123
You did the right thing by moving the darling to a safer place. I had a similar experience this summer with a Midwest Paint Turtle. My state's Fish and Wildlife said to just release her very near where she was but let her be. She scratched at my front door, played in my flower bed for awhile, and then left. Feel blessed. She felt safe enough to visit you.