Any advice on adoption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, USA
Hi! My boyfriend and I are looking to adopt a tortoise. We are both in our mid-30's, have been together for over 6 years and have a home with a large, fenced in yard. I know this may not matter to some - but I'm trying to emphasize the fact that we aren't kids and are able to care for this animal :). I have been a Veterinary Technician working with exotics, avians and livestock - but have never owned a turtle or tortoise.
We've done our home work and are looking at the Sulcata or perhaps a Leopard or Greek.

We would REALLY prefer adoption to buying from a breeder - but I'm not finding anything but animals available within the state of California (and wont be shipped). Should we turn our sights to buying instead?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! You can't find a sulcata to adopt in California! ?? Wow! If that is what you want to do I'd be happy to put you in touch with a few rescue groups throughout the state. Otherwise id say watch your local craigslist. Many of the rescues begin right there.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I KNOW OF 3 SULCATAS IN CALIFORNIA THAT NEED HOMES, RESCUED JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO, AND CURRENTLY IN FOSTER CARE!!! Sorry about the capital letters, but I got excited when I read your post. If you want more info, send a PM to Waterboy (Andrew), and he can tell you all about the ones he has available for adoption. I started a Tortoise Rescue Network with some of the other forum members here, and most of the torts we get are sulcatas with shell deformities and other health issues due to improper care. All 3 of the tortoises Andrew has right now were originally from Phoenix, which has turned out to be the tort-neglect capital of the country (IMO, at least :p). Anyway, Andrew is part of our foster network and picked them up last time he was in AZ. You can also send me a PM for more info if you are interested. :)

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
What about checking with Yvonne screen name "emysemys" I think she might have some available rescues. I could be wrong tho but can't hurt to ask. Also if you are getting a tort from a rescue it is not uncommon for them to want to do a home /yard inspection first. These torts have been abused and mistreated already, and we want them to go only to the best forever homes. Good luck and you will love being Torty parents!!

Erika I totally forgot all about those Phoenix torties that Waterboy still has. Yea possible new homes!!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Most any CTTC chapter has a few sulcatas waiting to be adopted. Go to tortoise.org and find your nearest chapter. Good luck! :)

Greek914

5 Year Member
Marion NC
I think we missed the point.

"but I'm not finding anything but animals available within the state of California (and wont be shipped)"

She's is not in Cali. I have run into the same problem. Lots to adopt, but not near me.

-Peter

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
We're not in California - sorry for any confusion. The only adoptables we can find are in CA. We are in Tennessee. Exactly Peter! Thank you for the replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Clementine, and welcome to the Forum!

Contact Julie at Turtle Rescue of Long Island. She gets in lots of sulcatas and only places them in areas that have good weather most of the year. You would have to pay the shipping, but she's great to deal with and usually always has animals needing good homes.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi, I live in Connecticut and adopted a Sulcata from Montana If you find one in need you can have them sent to you. I got lucky because the guy posted it on TFO. I wish you the best of luck! Your circumstances sound ideal for any Sulcata!

What about adopting this one....
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-61259.html

Status
Not open for further replies.