Any advice, please read

Molwal

So it started back in 2015 I really wanted a tortoise for my birthday, so we went to the local reptile store, the man gave me all the wrong information, told me to put them in a viv and even said that they are communal so I brought two Alan and Brian, I was so naive and just stupid. I wasn’t the best owner, found it overwhelming when I looked on forums and realised what I had to do, I loved them loads but just wasn’t the best at looking after them, they hadn’t really grown that much. then back in February 2017 a local dog somehow got into the house and somehow opened the viv and got to them, Brian sadly had to be put to sleep but Alan survived and was put on antibiotics and I spent the next few weeks flushing his wounds and applying a cream that I was prescribed, he was put on paper towels while he recovered and still has a few scars today. I still carry so much guilt and deserve to be criticised. But after that I put my everything into looking after Alan, brought him a tortoise table, brought very type of uv lights possible, tried all sorts of substrates, to see what worked best for Alan. In the past year Alan has come on immensely, he’s grown so much in the past year, he has pyramiding but not too bad, I believe this may be down to over feeding as I just gave him what He wanted as I still felt so guilty about the dog attack and maybe the humidity as I found it hard with a tortoise table. His basking spot temperature is usually between 90-93f and his humidity can be anywhere between 40-65% but I spray his house down around 3 times a day, he has a warm bath for around 20 minutes nearly every day, he eats dandelions, all sorts of weeds and occasionally a bit of romain lettuce. He usually has a walk around the house for about an hour day in which he doesn’t stop, he’s so active. He is also very regular when it comes to weeing and pooing and his urates are soft and watery. His tortoise table has become too small so I’m currently saving for a 6ft by 3ft which is around £400 and I only work part time while at school( I should have brought it by the end of summer). While it’s summer on warm days he’s out in the garden for the majority of the day and has his own paddling pool in which he gets in and out off. He seems really happy and I’m so sad that it took a tragedy for me to realise how much looking after torts need, any advice on anything else I can do?

Sorry this is so long (one of the photos is of his scar) IMG_2296.jpgIMG_2297.jpgIMG_2298.jpg

Molwal

Is there anything extra I can do, am I doing anything wrong? Any advice helps

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
You can build your own tort table way cheaper than that. You can get a 4x8 piece plywood for like $15. Two of these and some screws would build you a bigger than 6x3 enclosure pretty easily actually.

Molwal

The one I’ve seen has like small stairs which would give him a second floor to climb, which I think he’d love as he doesn’t stop climbing

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Two things are concerning, first the enclosure size should be 4x8 and if you have to skimp on that don't cheat by more than 2 feet I would say. The second thing is your running a cool basking spot, it should be between 95-105.

I can't identify the substrate from the photo, just don't use sand in any ratio.

Lastly, move something and get rid of that huge frown in the background haha.

Other than that he seems to be alright. And don't feel like a bad owner because an idiot store owner armed you with the wrong info, that is HIS fault. You did right by your tort by coming here.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have some advice... don’t berate yourself and lose the guilt. Don’t dwell on, but use past experiences to help yourself and others. You have taken a tragedy and turned it to become a very good and responsible tort keeper. As for Alan’s scars, chic torts dig scars. lol. Just enjoy Alan and savor what your heart feels as you watch him eat, sleep and roam. You’re doing great. Pets bring joy.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have a question for you @Molwal. What is and where did you get that enclosure that you have? Could you post a full pic of it? Thanks

Molwal

Two things are concerning, first the enclosure size should be 4x8 and if you have to skimp on that don't cheat by more than 2 feet I would say. The second thing is your running a cool basking spot, it should be between 95-105.

I can't identify the substrate from the photo, just don't use sand in any ratio.

Lastly, move something and get rid of that huge frown in the background haha.

Other than that he seems to be alright. And don't feel like a bad owner because an idiot store owner armed you with the wrong info, that is HIS fault. You did right by your tort by coming here.

His current enclosure is around 3ft long, I’ve only had it around 12 months and when I got it, it was perfect for him recovering, by the end of summer I should have one twice the size and whenever I’ve had his asking spot hotter he avoids that area and will just sit in his cool spot or his water dish, his current substrate is what I’ve been advised by many people

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
His current enclosure is around 3ft long, I’ve only had it around 12 months and when I got it, it was perfect for him recovering, by the end of summer I should have one twice the size and whenever I’ve had his asking spot hotter he avoids that area and will just sit in his cool spot or his water dish, his current substrate is what I’ve been advised by many people

It is a shame it's not big enough for adults, I wanted that enclosure myself. Mine are the opposite, they make a B line for the basking spot after eating but avoid basking it if it is less than 93 degrees.

And yea there are plenty of good substrates people suggest that are fine, I just stressed no sand because it is an eye irritant and gut impaction risk. (Someone please chime in and confirm this).

I would consider modding that enclosure to connect to the new one you build...give him a huge basking spot or place to eat away from the substrate. Would just suck to not use it anymore since it is such a cool looking enclosure.

Molwal

It is a shame it's not big enough for adults, I wanted that enclosure myself. Mine are the opposite, they make a B line for the basking spot after eating but avoid basking it if it is less than 93 degrees.

And yea there are plenty of good substrates people suggest that are fine, I just stressed no sand because it is an eye irritant and gut impaction risk. (Someone please chime in and confirm this).

I would consider modding that enclosure to connect to the new one you build...give him a huge basking spot or place to eat away from the substrate. Would just suck to not use it anymore since it is such a cool looking enclosure.

It was brilliant for him while he recovered and seemed so big for him at the time but this past year he’s put on over 200 grams. My boyfriend recently brought a baby horsefield named Keith after becoming attached to Alan, having made the past mistakes that I have has helped loads in raising Keith properly and I was planning on letting Keith have Alan’s current enclosure when his new one comes. The current substrate Alan and Keith are on IMG_1936.jpgtortoise life pro rep and I’ve been told it’s completely digestible? Not too sure tho now
This is Keith’s current set up have now moved the black cave that was in the corner as we realised Keith climbed up it in seconds and are planning on extending the walls

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
It was brilliant for him while he recovered and seemed so big for him at the time but this past year he’s put on over 200 grams. My boyfriend recently brought a baby horsefield named Keith after becoming attached to Alan, having made the past mistakes that I have has helped loads in raising Keith properly and I was planning on letting Keith have Alan’s current enclosure when his new one comes. The current substrate Alan and Keith are on View attachment 240392tortoise life pro rep and I’ve been told it’s completely digestible? Not too sure tho now
This is Keith’s current set up have now moved the black cave that was in the corner as we realised Keith climbed up it in seconds and are planning on extending the walls

Never used that substrate, so I don't know anything about it. I know coco coir is digestible, but it doesn't matter for me since I feed mine away from the substrate. I drop some slate in plastic bins, sit it in the enclosure and put them inside and let them eat and remove afterwards. It may be overkill, (refer to my signature) but it stops worries of ingestion for me.

I would be cautious with those dark corner stairs...once a bit bigger, most any Russian could use that to escape the wall. I watch mine like a hawk but my female has got loose twice in my house haha.

Molwal

He already tried to escape with minutes of it being in so it’s no longer there now until we extend the walls higher

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
He already tried to escape with minutes of it being in so it’s no longer there now until we extend the walls higher

Yea, I didn't want it to look like I was nitpicking...but after you own a Russian for a while you develop a radar for spotting escape routes lol. This thread is really making me want to mod that enclosure for a second level for my own. I have a huge blank space under my current enclosure it would fill nicely.

Molwal

He really enjoys it, wasnt sure about the wood chipping at first but he loves them, buried himself completely in them every night for bed