Any other PA reptile owners freaking out about this coming storm?

BrandyBacklash

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, US
Or is it just me? Local news anchors just said to expect to lose power. And of course i just used my last heat pack this past weekend. Looks like im getting a ride to walmart this evening. This is nuts. Ive never lost power since owning reptiles. The plan is to pack all geckos into small carriers and containers, put them in boxes with heat packs, and round everyone up around the kerosine heater. Tortoise is going in a box with packs and getting blanketed up. Or sleeping in my shirt.

Anyone else have emergency plans in place for this?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
We have an old boiler with the registers along with a wood burner so heat is not a concern since all our furnace needs to run is a car battery . Our problem is water we have a well that electricity runs on a pump. I hope it's lots of snow with no ice. I love snow but the ice is a problem between driving and power lines.

On another note we supposed to pick up our puppy from the breeder tomorrow am. I hope we can pick him up!!!

Make sure your phone is charged so you be on the TFO around the heater :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
All I can said is keep warm. I know that may be tough if the power is out.

Good Luck and God bless.

BrandyBacklash

Pennsylvania, US
TortsNTurtles said:
We have an old boiler with the registers along with a wood burner so heat is not a concern since all our furnace needs to run is a car battery . Our problem is water we have a well that electricity runs on a pump. I hope it's lots of snow with no ice. I love snow but the ice is a problem between driving and power lines.

On another note we supposed to pick up our puppy from the breeder tomorrow am. I hope we can pick him up!!!

Make sure your phone is charged so you be on the TFO around the heater :)

Me too on the more snow than ice thing. Can you fill your tub/sinks with water before bed just incase?
I hope so too! Be careful if its too bad id call the breeder and postpone.
And oh yes. Im not letting it dip below 90% at all today and tomorrow.

bouaboua said:
All I can said is keep warm. I know that may be tough if the power is out.

Good Luck and God bless.

Thank you, im not as worried about myself. I can bundle. Like i said if anything im sleeping with my tort up my shirt and curled around the geckos/heater. Or calling around to see if anyone still has power.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Filling up the tub is a great idea. As soon as it starts to rain or snow I am going to do just that.

BrandyBacklash

Pennsylvania, US
TortsNTurtles said:
Filling up the tub is a great idea. As soon as it starts to rain or snow I am going to do just that.

Tortsnturtles how are you fairing? I.hope all is well!! I still have power as of now but boyfriend lost his at 4 am so i now have his torts and beardies as well.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
We are doing good so far. I am glad at least one of you have power.I seen on the news PA has a ton of power outrages . High winds and still ice tonight hoping we both make it through tonight too!

BrandyBacklash

Pennsylvania, US
TortsNTurtles said:
We are doing good so far. I am glad at least one of you have power.I seen on the news PA has a ton of power outrages . High winds and still ice tonight hoping we both make it through tonight too!

Goodluck! Crossing fingers for both of us

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
We have special plans in place for our tortoise. We have a generator powerful enough to run the fireplace and pellet stove, but not the furnace. So we will either be downstairs in front of the pellet stove or upstairs in front of the fireplace. Oh, and my great grandma knitted a sweater for the little guy. He will have a heat pad tucked inside his sweater. So, it will be the tortoise in his grey sweater with a heat pad tucked in the sweater will sitting in front of a fireplace/pellet stove. I think we will be a-okay. :D

BrandyBacklash

Pennsylvania, US
tort_luv_5055 said:
We have special plans in place for our tortoise. We have a generator powerful enough to run the fireplace and pellet stove, but not the furnace. So we will either be downstairs in front of the pellet stove or upstairs in front of the fireplace. Oh, and my great grandma knitted a sweater for the little guy. He will have a heat pad tucked inside his sweater. So, it will be the tortoise in his grey sweater with a heat pad tucked in the sweater will sitting in front of a fireplace/pellet stove. I think we will be a-okay. :D

Aww haha i dont know if Paco would like a sweater. But i bet thats super adorable. A generator is something i have yet to look into. We have a kerosine heater thats ancient and kicks off good heat. But tell you what a fire place sounds so much better?!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good luck to all of you! We have high winds and temps in the 20's, but no snow. Hope our power holds out! :0

lynnedit said:
Good luck to all of you! We have high winds and temps in the 20's, but no snow. Hope our power holds out! :eek: