Laid eggs after power loss. Is this a survival instinct?

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
I live in CA and the past few weeks it’s been very stormy which resulted a lot of power outages.

My 6 year old female Sulcata is in an outdoor / heated shed that I built myself and it maintains a constant 80 degrees during the cold days / nights. Unfortunately, I lost power at my house for about 10 hours during a heavy storm New Year’s Eve. Since it was late, no stores were open to buy heat packs, and did not have access to a generator, my animals had no heat for a number of hours. Several hours after I got power and the heat was back up, I discovered my female sulcata laid eggs for the first time ever in her shed.

She did mate and connect with my 10 year old male a few months back so I’m sure she’s gravid.

About 10 days went by and CA was hit by another big storm which resulted losing power right in the middle of the night and didn’t realize until I woke up the next morning. I went on and checked on the animals and once again my female sulcata laid a few more eggs.

So my question for you veterans out there…. Did my Sulcata lay the eggs as a natural survival instinct due to the fact she was cold during the power outages? Or could this be just a coincidence?

The animal is still eating extremely well, happy and active, no signs of respiratory, so I have no worries on her health whatsoever. So please no care/husbandry questions on this thread. I am just curious on the one question I am asking.

Thank You!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably coincidence. They don't lay due to stress.

Its also common for first time mothers to just drop eggs on the surface when their bodies are still ramping up and getting ready for a life time of egg production.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What about the eggs? If I may ask.