Any RAT Lovers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
NudistApple said:
Heyyy, I remember these pictures from GM! These babies are likely 3-4 months old, unless they are just very slow growing/petite females. They still have total "baby face" though, so I am inclined to say they are smaller.

I've owned rats for about 8 years now, they are easily one of my favourite animals. I'm down to only 3 personal rats, 2 neutered males and an intact female, but I've had up to 7 at various times. I foster/adoption counsel for Mainely Rat Rescue, so I always have changeable numbers of foster rats. Currently I have 6 babies monkeying around in the foster-cage. :)

These are my last love-bugs:
Elizabeth, a "failed foster",
100_0931.jpg

I pulled her from the Lancaster Humane Society when she was pregnant, and fostered she and her whole litter (she had 16 babies, but only 14 survived.)

Here's a cute shot of her with one of her daughters,
thehawk001.jpg

This is Eliot, a Dumbo varigated black hooded poor rex,
rats92611062.jpg

I adopted him from MRR, he and his family were 70+ rats that were taken from a hoarder in Maine.

This is Moonstruck's butt! He is a really good rex, and also a PEW,
rats92611089.jpg

He is also adopted from MRR. I got him at the same time as Eliot at the last ever NE Rat Fest (2011) it was an awesome time.

They live in half of a DFN. I have my fosterkiddos in a Martin's 695 until they are big enough for the 1" spacing on the other half of the FN.

Sooo uhm...yea. You could say I'm a rat lover. ;)

YAH I'm on GM too hahaha My babies are around 9 weeks old...Bambi the siamese is molting and almost lost all her cap. Someone on the GM noticed her cap and I know the molting because they are shedding right now as well. I thought about getting a martins but I settled for a SP cage and it's pretty big and really easy to clean so far. Your ratties are awesome, I'm thinking about adopting next or doing the rescue and I also want to experience some from a good breeder also.

WallieTheTortoise said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
Tom I didn't know you had rats?! That's awesome!
I don't think rats chew off toes or would even try to harm a baby in the crib LOL HAHAHAHA I think your mom paid too much attention to lady and the tramp
Rats are cool and I didn't think I'd be having rats in my home but I have 3 now and I love them so much...I had to read up on ringworms because the other forum member spooked me with that one and I don't think it's correct. Rats don't develop nor carry ringworms unless it was passed down to them by something...usually cats carry ringworms and if you touch a cat, then you can spread it to a rat, making the rats seem like they were the culprit. It depends on how the petstore handles them as well, most pet store rats have lots of problems and were feeder rats so it could be possible that the rats got it from someone or something and then brang it home to you....You were a vet tech so it kinda striked me as to why you'd purchase rats with ringworms since it would be highly noticeable if they had them...their hair would be either falling out or raised and obvious and gross and you'd see their skin so I examine mine before purchasing and just a thought, maybe you could have developed it while working with the animals at school and it can be easily treated so IDK why you'd drop out over that? Just wondering.......

I have a question for you....since you breed them and are familiar with them, can you tell me how old these might be? Alot of people have mixed reviews stating they are 4-6 months and some are 8-10 weeks but I think they are around 8-10weeks old but I will post pics of them all so you can verify for yourself and give me a better guesstimate?

Here's a pic of Jacky my PEW next to my 3 yr old sons hand (was taken last night)

these next 2 are to compare her actual size next to a dollar bill

Now this is jacky again next to a dog greenie and some paper towel/toilet paper rolls and a walnut

Now this is Bambi my siamese next to some walnuts in comparison

These next 2 are of mishka

here's jacky again

They move around too much as they are still scared but jacky cooperates more with me and lets me pet and kiss her now.

I was studying to become a vet tech and not all animals show symptoms. I also did research, sometime the lesions are obvious but sometimes there are none.

MORTYtheTORTY said:
Tom I didn't know you had rats?! That's awesome!
I don't think rats chew off toes or would even try to harm a baby in the crib LOL HAHAHAHA I think your mom paid too much attention to lady and the tramp
Rats are cool and I didn't think I'd be having rats in my home but I have 3 now and I love them so much...I had to read up on ringworms because the other forum member spooked me with that one and I don't think it's correct. Rats don't develop nor carry ringworms unless it was passed down to them by something...usually cats carry ringworms and if you touch a cat, then you can spread it to a rat, making the rats seem like they were the culprit. It depends on how the petstore handles them as well, most pet store rats have lots of problems and were feeder rats so it could be possible that the rats got it from someone or something and then brang it home to you....You were a vet tech so it kinda striked me as to why you'd purchase rats with ringworms since it would be highly noticeable if they had them...their hair would be either falling out or raised and obvious and gross and you'd see their skin so I examine mine before purchasing and just a thought, maybe you could have developed it while working with the animals at school and it can be easily treated so IDK why you'd drop out over that? Just wondering.......

I have a question for you....since you breed them and are familiar with them, can you tell me how old these might be? Alot of people have mixed reviews stating they are 4-6 months and some are 8-10 weeks but I think they are around 8-10weeks old but I will post pics of them all so you can verify for yourself and give me a better guesstimate?

Here's a pic of Jacky my PEW next to my 3 yr old sons hand (was taken last night)

these next 2 are to compare her actual size next to a dollar bill

Now this is jacky again next to a dog greenie and some paper towel/toilet paper rolls and a walnut

Now this is Bambi my siamese next to some walnuts in comparison

These next 2 are of mishka

here's jacky again

They move around too much as they are still scared but jacky cooperates more with me and lets me pet and kiss her now.

Also I highly doubt they were from the animals from school as they were born in labs and other student would have shows signs too.

I think you should do more research before hand before asking questions like why would I buy an animal that clearly shows signs of icky ringworm and give it to myself. I also said that I dropped out because I did not want to infect the other animals. We have to do animal care and I obviously had to touch the animals (ringworm was on my wrists) and if I infect one, the others might also get it (not not mention the other students too).

I want to do Vet tech in the near future myself so that's why I just don't see dropping out just because of ringworms to be of any sense to me unless that's not your passion and you didn't want to do it in the first place?! I'm not questioning you that you didn't get ringworms but just wondering how you would know it's from the rats if they didn't have symptoms to begin with? You can easily get ringworms from anything.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
You are right, you can get it from anything. One piece of evidence was that they would sit on my hand and then crawl up my arm to my shoulders. Well I had 2 lesions on my arms and 2 on my shoulder area. You and me are two different people, I felt it was best that I not stay in the program and infect the animals. I thought it would be unwise, and If I did happen to infect them and they found out it was me, I would get kicked out, which is even worse. I don't really like arguing with people and it kind of sounded like an attack :(

Anyways, I hope you're enjoying your babies!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen ring worm in kittens and house cats several times. Even had a persistent case in a young tiger for a while, although I seem to be one of those wierdos that just doesn't contract it even when I contact it. I don't get poison ivy symptoms either...

Anyhow, I've never even seen it in rats, although I'm sure it's possible. I just wouldn't call it common.

No way to know the age of those rats from a pic. They look fairly young, but could be as old as a year.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
WallieTheTortoise said:
You are right, you can get it from anything. One piece of evidence was that they would sit on my hand and then crawl up my arm to my shoulders. Well I had 2 lesions on my arms and 2 on my shoulder area. You and me are two different people, I felt it was best that I not stay in the program and infect the animals. I thought it would be unwise, and If I did happen to infect them and they found out it was me, I would get kicked out, which is even worse. I don't really like arguing with people and it kind of sounded like an attack :(

Anyways, I hope you're enjoying your babies!

No worries...just don't understand why you opted to drop out instead of take some time off. IDK how they run schools in your area but here they'd work with you somehow to take time off or work from a distance since ringworms are very curable, even with over the counter meds they can be treated ASAP very quickly...I guess 2 each is own.

Tom said:
I've seen ring worm in kittens and house cats several times. Even had a persistent case in a young tiger for a while, although I seem to be one of those wierdos that just doesn't contract it even when I contact it. I don't get poison ivy symptoms either...

Anyhow, I've never even seen it in rats, although I'm sure it's possible. I just wouldn't call it common.

No way to know the age of those rats from a pic. They look fairly young, but could be as old as a year.

you're just like my fiancee...he can run through a bunch of poison ivy and not contract it LOL weirdos hahahha he lived in new hampshire and used to run through the woods all the time and has NEVER gotten poison ivy in his life...ME on the other hand had it VERY bad and never got treatment for it and you don't wanna know what I did to get rid of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.