Any tips on diets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakedog

5 Year Member
Hello, I have a Hermann's tortoise and it seems that he eats very often ,is this normal? I put in some pellets and veggies but, he always seems to eat it.I thought tortoises eats in 2-3 days on a regular diet. I have been suspicious that he eats a lot. He is very young but he eats big pellets, half the size of his head(maybe 1/4th of his head). Do you have any good ideas for healthy food and vitamins for this species? I feed him lettuce, I'm not sure what kind but he seems to like it. Thank you. This is my first post.
With hope,
Me:)[/size][/font]

freefood

5 Year Member
What kind of lettuce? Lettuce generally should be avoided, especially iceberg, since it contains little vitamins, and tortoise love it. A young tortoise should be eating every 2 days, since it is still growing. Pellets are a good supplement to a diet, but feed more vegetables to it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Wakedog:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Is your Hermann's tortoise a baby? I don't have Hermann's but I do have quite a few other kinds of tortoise, and I feed my babies every day. I'm not a big fan of feeding pellets, but if you also feed some greens I guess this would be ok. What is the brand of the pellets? You should be able to find some dark, leafy green in the grocery store, produce section...escarole, endive, turnip greens, dandelion greens, etc. You don't have to buy everything, but buy a different kind every time you shop. A varied diet makes a healthy tortoise.

M

millorpeter

Vitality is an important milestone for Shell and the overall health of infants kept in terrariums.Hatchlings boost calcium intake. Calcium deficiency can cause deformation of the shell and other complications such as age of the turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.