Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would look for applesauce with no additives...sugar, salt, cinnamon, etc. I see no reason why not, if its pure. I had to give one of my horses medicine and the vet suggested to disguise it in applesauce.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
As Yvonne says with no additives it's okay. I've given organic applesauce to mine but a warning, it can get messy. lol

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I'm wondering why you would serve applesauce? Occasional real apples would be OK, and are packed full of fiber and vitamins. Applesauce seems messy- although handy for serving meds or for emergency food.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
I'm wondering why you would serve applesauce? Occasional real apples would be OK, and are packed full of fiber and vitamins. Applesauce seems messy- although handy for serving meds or for emergency food.

Lol i only used apple sauce because i forgot to go to the store to get there greens i still had a little but it was not enough so apple sauce was the only friuty thing i really had so i thought it woul be ok for a occasional thing.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would think the applesauce would have more concentrated sugar than apples, and missing the skin which is very nutrient packed. Emergencies or given with medicine would be fine for a Redfoot (not a desert tort in comparison), but I wouldn't feed it regularly as there are better fruits. So I agree that occasional like you said is probably ok.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
One thing to remember is that there is a really simple 'oopsie, no food' emergency diet you can follow that is cheap and healthy- nothing.

Most of our tortoises are over-fed and under-exercised. They grow faster than their wild cousins and are fed much more nutritious foods. Healthy torts in the wild are well-documented as not eating for a month at a time after eating a good meal (one field report mentioned an armadillo hole full of sub-adult Red-foots that were trapped in there until a big Red-foot blocking the hole decided to move after a few weeks of resting and digesting.)

If I am running late, low on food, need to go out for a couple days, etc., I no longer worry about it. I try to give them a bit more before or after, but they always seem to be right back to normal behaviors within a day of eating again.

Status
Not open for further replies.