Aptenia Cordifolia VARIEGATA: Safe/Good to Feed?

Wolfpackin

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
The Tortoise Table lists Aptenia Cordifolia as "Safe to Feed" and Delosperma as "Feed in Moderation".

As best as I can tell the Variegata is a cross between the Aptenia Cordifolia and Delosperma. It seems that logically this cross of two edible plants would be edible but just want to make sure I have my facts straight.

Thanks.

apteniacordifoliavariegata1__61243.1530814499.500.659.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Aptenia Cordifolia variegata is simply a type (listed as sub-species) of A. Cordifolia. It is not a type or cross of Delopsperma. So it is completely safe to feed.

Wolfpackin

Colorado
FWIW
I'm hoping to grow this plant in our indoor enclosure more for aesthetics than food, but obviously needed to know that the plant would be safe.

I suppose if I can get it to grow successfully I could grow it for food too.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Nice! I have this plant growing outdoors it he ground but boy it does love its water and tons of fish fertilizer propagates so easy! It goes crazy! I'm worried it might freeze this winter though I think the stuff says hardy to like 30.. Nice to know I can feed it!

Wolfpackin

Colorado
Nice! I have this plant growing outdoors it he ground but boy it does love its water and tons of fish fertilizer propagates so easy! It goes crazy! I'm worried it might freeze this winter though I think the stuff says hardy to like 30.. Nice to know I can feed it!
I would love to know how you are propagating your plants.
Do you just cut off a piece and stick it in the ground or do you put the cuttings in water first etc.?

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I would love to know how you are propagating your plants.
Do you just cut off a piece and stick it in the ground or do you put the cuttings in water first etc.?
I have actually done both. There was a part of the plant that was thinner and I just cut a big piece and stuck it in the mulch. We are in the monsoon so it had plenty of rain and it's kinda in the shade. I have also put them in a glass with water and they rooted but I covered the glass with tinfoil to keep out the sun. Changed the water twice in two weeks about how long it took to sprout roots.

They seemed like they would be easy since I noticed that they were putting out roots at the nodes when they "vine" out.

I started these in late April from 6in pots I found at a thrift store.
20180730_172035.jpg 20180730_172312.jpg