Arcadia pro T5 12%

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all!

Just ordering the above for my baby horsefield tortoise now. How long do you guys keep yours on for per day and how high from the tortoise should you hang it?

If anyone has any pictures or advice on how to hang them too I’d love to hear, I have a tortoise table and I’ve been racking my brains but can’t quite think of how I’m going to install.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!

Just ordering the above for my baby horsefield tortoise now. How long do you guys keep yours on for per day and how high from the tortoise should you hang it?

If anyone has any pictures or advice on how to hang them too I’d love to hear, I have a tortoise table and I’ve been racking my brains but can’t quite think of how I’m going to install.
With an open tortoise table, you can attach an upright 2x4 on each end of the enclosure. Then do a horizontal cross beam over the top. Hang your light from there. If you don't want to attach the upright arms to the side of your tortoise table, you can make a plywood base that is a little longer than your table, attach the uprights to that, and set the base under your table. You can also buy a couple of the ZooMed lamp stands and hang it from those.

Somewhere around 20 inches should do it, but each bulb and fixture is different, and only a Solarmeter 6.5 can tell you what is happening in YOUR enclosure. This would be similar to us guessing how high your heat lamp should be. Only a thermometer can tell you.

With these strong bulbs, I like to simulate what happens outside where the UV is weak in the morning and afternoon, but strongest mid day. I set my tubes to run for two or three hours mid day and rely on LEDs and the basking lamp for light the rest of each day. This also simulates the brightness of the mid day sun.

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
With an open tortoise table, you can attach an upright 2x4 on each end of the enclosure. Then do a horizontal cross beam over the top. Hang your light from there. If you don't want to attach the upright arms to the side of your tortoise table, you can make a plywood base that is a little longer than your table, attach the uprights to that, and set the base under your table. You can also buy a couple of the ZooMed lamp stands and hang it from those.

Somewhere around 20 inches should do it, but each bulb and fixture is different, and only a Solarmeter 6.5 can tell you what is happening in YOUR enclosure. This would be similar to us guessing how high your heat lamp should be. Only a thermometer can tell you.

With these strong bulbs, I like to simulate what happens outside where the UV is weak in the morning and afternoon, but strongest mid day. I set my tubes to run for two or three hours mid day and rely on LEDs and the basking lamp for light the rest of each day. This also simulates the brightness of the mid day sun.
I love the idea of the ZooMed lamp stands! That’s what I’m gonna do, does the UVB kit come with something to hook it to the stand?

In terms of UVB I’m a little iffy on paying so much for a tester, is there any way to stay on the side of caution so I’m not doing him damage without officially measuring it?

if I absolutely have to then of course I will, but if there’s an alternative to be safe then I’d much rather do it that way:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the idea of the ZooMed lamp stands! That’s what I’m gonna do, does the UVB kit come with something to hook it to the stand?

In terms of UVB I’m a little iffy on paying so much for a tester, is there any way to stay on the side of caution so I’m not doing him damage without officially measuring it?

if I absolutely have to then of course I will, but if there’s an alternative to be safe then I’d much rather do it that way:)
I put a Zoo Med lamp stand on each end, then removed the hook from each and put a length of small PVC between the two stands to hang the fixtures from.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Just run a loop of wire - I use baling or rebar tie wire - and put it under the clips that come with the fixture. Then clip those on the fixture to give you something to hang it.

I personally would not use a UVB light without a solarmeter 6.5. UVB can be dangerous if not installed properly. As Tom has mentioned, different bulbs, fixtures and applications can produce different readings. Its worth knowing you have it done correctly!

ZenHerper

New Jersey

Unfortunately, we have members who find regularly that the package-recommended height does not produce the level of radiation they need in their set up.

Since these products are only regulated by the companies that produce them, independent meter-testing is the safest practice.