Are there different forms of pyramiding?

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I was just wondering if there are different forms, the first picture of him his pyramiding seems to involve the entire scute. The second picture he seemed to have smoothed out quite a bit. And the third from today, this picture is what I am asking about now. It seems like the majority of his shell continues to grow semi smooth. But the side scutes where the lines meet seem to be raising up now while the majority of it grows semi smooth. It seems to be only select parts of the scute raising. I was just wondering if anybody could give me any insight why these parts are raising while other parts are not. Thanks in advance.20171029_200927.jpg20180307_170604.jpg20180520_142108.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The initial way this tortoise was housed and raised had it on a path toward mild pyramiding.

At some point conditions improved and he new growth came in much better, but the old existing growth with always be there like an island in the middle of each ever enlarging scute.

The growth on your most current pic looks excellent to me. I see the area you are asking about, but that is just normal looking shell irregularity to my eye. There can always be some "waviness" and asymmetry to their shells. In any case, the carapace looks fantastic!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
The initial way this tortoise was housed and raised had it on a path toward mild pyramiding.

At some point conditions improved and he new growth came in much better, but the old existing growth with always be there like an island in the middle of each ever enlarging scute.

The growth on your most current pic looks excellent to me. I see the area you are asking about, but that is just normal looking shell irregularity to my eye. There can always be some "waviness" and asymmetry to their shells. In any case, the carapace looks fantastic!
Thanks Tom, I really appreciate that. I was starting to get a little nervous.