Are these acceptable humidity levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Hello. My little cherryhead is in a temporary tank, until we can get her large enclosure finished in the next month or two. Her new enclosure will have solid sides, at least partially solid top, cypress substrate, humid hide, and live plants and live moss. I was having issues controlling her humidity in the temporary tank. I have wet towels covering her temporary tank.

I purchased a humidifier and a hygrometer recently and here is the humidity scenario I have been able to manage in her temporary tank. During the night when the heat lamp is off, her humidity is around 90%. I guess this high humidity is due to the last of the humidity given by the humidifier does not evaporate, plus any evaporation from the towels, water dish and moist cypress substrate. During the day, due to the heat lamp, I am finding that I can keep the humidity around 75% with the help of the humidifier. It cycles every 15 minutes to half hour or so depending on the temp and humidity in the room where the tank is located. If I try to set it to 80%, the humidifier stays on almost constantly. I would prefer not to run the humidifier constantly as it costs electricity to run, will wear out the humidifier faster, and the distilled water costs money, but I would not run it at 80% ONLY IF the 90% at night and 75% humidity during the day is acceptable to her health. In addition, she does have a humid hide.

I would be grateful for your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you

jerbs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul, MN
For me, that should be fine if you are also soaking daily and bc it's only temporary. When will the new one be done?

tignish99

5 Year Member
The enclosure will be done in the next month or two. It has gone from a simple enclosure to an enclosure with a stand with storage and shelves, etc that are being built from scratch. I cannot say I soak her every day, but I try to soak her several times a week. She does have a water dish that is big enough for her to soak in and she does spend quite a bit of time in it. Would upping it to 80% be more ideal?

tignish99

5 Year Member
I called Zoo Med. Their customer service is absolutely amazing! We discussed the enclosure set up and she gave me pointers on how to improve my set up and the location of the sensor and the humidifier hose. Now I have the humidifier set for 80% and it is working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.