Are these bowls ok?

SuperKawaii

So I have this one water bowl that was like $20 and I posted it and people said that it was to big and my tortoises can flip over

So I went out and got two terracotta bowls (one fore each tortoise) are these ok?image.jpg image.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
If they are big enough for the tort to get in to soak they should work. Are they glazed? If so you may want to add a few stones in it for traction. Unglazed are better in my opinion...sink them into the dirt though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
They should be fine and if you sink them level with the surface of the substrate they will be easy for them to get in.
I don't know how big or small your tort is, but some people put pebbles in them to make it easier for them to get out of.
Don't forget to give the dishes (and pebbles if you use them) a good clean to sterilise them. I can't remember what people use to do that but if you do a search you should find answers

SuperKawaii

They should be fine and if you sink them level with the surface if the substrate they will be easy for them to get in.
I don't know how big or small your tort is, but some people put pebbles in them to make it easier for them to get out of.
Don't forget to give the dishes (and pebbles if you use them) a good clean to sterilise them. I can't remember what people use to do that but if you di a search you should find answers

Nah there pretty rough, and my torts can fit I'm sure because there pretty small atm my Female is 5.5" and my Male is 4"

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
They should be fine and if you sink them level with the surface of the substrate they will be easy for them to get in.

Don't forget to give the dishes (and pebbles if you use them) a good clean to sterilise them. I can't remember what people use to do that but if you do a search you should find answers
....I just use very hot water and give them a good scrub with a brush.

SuperKawaii

image.jpeg She is the bigger one
....I just use very hot water and give them a good scrub with a brush.
Also I just got my female like 5 days ago and she barely comes out of her she'll and does she look healthy?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sadly it is not recommended to keep pairs of torts even of different sex. They are solitary creatures and don't need company. I think I've read that Russians are quite scrappy with other torts
have a look at this link and there are others like it.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

One becomes dominant and will very subtly bully the other. You may not even notice it happening as it isn't always physical aggression, it could be following or trying to push the other out of the territory and away from food or even just warning looks.
Even though she is bigger the male could harass her which will stress her out which may be what is happening now or she is just getting used to her new home. Is she eating and drinking? If not you need to separate them asap.
Do you soak them?

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
PS torts are usually quarantined before joining other torts to make sure they are not carrying any disease which could affect the other.

SuperKawaii

Sadly it is not recommended to keep pairs of torts even of different sex. They are solitary creatures and don't need company.
have a look at this link and there are others like it.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

One becomes dominant and will very subtly bully the other. You may not even notice it happening as it isn't always physical aggression, it could be following or trying to push the other out of the territory and away from food or even just warning looks.
Even though she is bigger the male could harass her which will stress her out which may be what is happening now or she is just getting used to her new home. Is she eating and drinking? If not you need to separate them asap.
Do you soak them?
I know that they are not supposed to live together so I do separate them for most of the week but for two or three days I'll let them together with separate water and food of course and yes she has been eating even though I haven't seen her eat I know she has because her food goes away idk why I'm saying that but yea

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I know that they are not supposed to live together so I do separate them for most of the week but for two or three days I'll let them together with separate water and food of course and yes she has been eating even though I haven't seen her eat I know she has because her food goes away idk why I'm saying that but yea
When she is with the male how do you know that he isn't eating her food or she his?
I think that just the changing of enclosures will be quite stressful for both- they don't like change - never mind the additional stress of another tort in your territory. I wouldn't risk it myself.

SuperKawaii

When she is with the male how do you know that he isn't eating her food or she his?
I think that just the changing of enclosures will be quite stressful for both- they don't like change - never mind the additional stress of another tort in your territory. I wouldn't risk it myself.
Oh well thanks because when their together they like to stay away from echother so I thought that they would be ok but I'll keep them separate

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You will probably find she is much happier when she is settled in her own enclosure and gets used to it

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Russians do indeed seem to be about the scrappiest torts there are.
it's great you are listening to sound advice and are going to keep them separate.
Even if they're okay now, there will certainly be trouble in the future and coming home to find an eye missing or a chunk out of the tail is not pleasant, I expect.
Thanks for coming on the forum and doing well by your torts.:)

Last edited: