Death Bowls

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Yeah, baby turtles are easy. I mean, I guess I'm a bit obsessive, with the cameras and the hours of time spent observing the tortoises and turtles despite having to spend over sixty hours per week running a business, but even when I kept my first couple of babies back in Korea, I was obsessed with providing them with the best care. Back then, there was no tortoise forum or internet resource. I had to rely on books by TFH that my dad got for me anytime he went stateside (and looking back, those books stank). Of course, I was a constant pest to my school librarian, asking for interlibrary loans of books on turtle care. Luckily, my cousin was very much into tropical fish, so he raised crickets, mealworms, and earthworms for his Cichlids. I ended up making those items, alongside various green veggies, the bulk of their diet. I also moved them from the death bowl in which my old man purchased them into a forty gallon tank with a rim filter.

Unfortunately, when it came time to move back stateside, these two had grown quite large, and my dad didn't want to go through the hassle of paperwork on these guys, so he lied and told me that we couldn't take them. I left them with my cousin who grew tired of them and released them into some local pond in Korea, which really made me angry, given that I always wanted them back (they were my first turtles, after all), and that he was upsetting the ecosystem. Nowadays, red ears are more common in Korea than Reeves turtles. I mean, anytime you see a body of water, it is bound to have a couple red ears swimming around in it. It has gotten completely out of control over there.

T.G.
Wow. I'm glad you gave them good care, though. I wonder if they are still kicking about in that pond?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well see now that's where reading comes into the picture. John Hoke "Turtle and their Care" written sometime in the 60's explained these things, without always saying why. I had some RES ina bowl like that fed them trout chow, they out grew and lived in a pond. So, it's about the dogma of doing "what everuone else" is doing, or not caring. There are thousands of 30 + year old RES sliders that started out in those bowls.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Well see now that's where reading comes into the picture. John Hoke "Turtle and their Care" written sometime in the 60's explained these things, without always saying why. I had some RES ina bowl like that fed them trout chow, they out grew and lived in a pond. So, it's about the dogma of doing "what everuone else" is doing, or not caring. There are thousands of 30 + year old RES sliders that started out in those bowls.
So well put. That's a great way to look at it. MATTS just got in a 59 year old RES that started in one.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Published in 1970, sorry about the mis-date. Essentially this is still 100% good 'contemporary' information. One exception is that it is NOT recommended to release a sick animal back into the wild. Otherwise it's full of that very rare thought process called common sense. Dogma kills common sense.
2014-09-28 10.47.13.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I collect and save things so I still have some of the old turtle stuff from the early days I posted these pics just for fun a while back, old turtle bowl.jpg old turtle bowl 2.jpg There where different sizes but I only remember 2 shapes this shape and round with the tree in the center. they also sold glass bowls for turtles, I have seen them converted into cookie jars with wooden tops lately.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Even worse than the death bowl was the notorious and still popular today (in some parts of the world..), "turtle key chain".
turtlekeychain7.jpg

turtlekeychains2.jpg

Yes, those turtles are alive and die almost right away seeing as they are packaged into these "spectacular" key chains right before your eyes.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Even worse than the death bowl was the notorious and still popular today (in some parts of the world..), "turtle key chain".
turtlekeychain7.jpg

turtlekeychains2.jpg

Yes, those turtles are alive and die almost right away seeing as they are packaged into these "spectacular" key chains right before your eyes.
What?? I've never heard of that one???