Are they sociable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lusciousdragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have my lovely little greek tortoise. She is very healthy and active and eats well. I was wondering if she needs a friend for her mental well being. Would she rather have a friend to interact with, wouldn't care if she had a friend or not, or would she rather be an only child? If I added another tortoise to the family, should it be the same species or not? And should it be the same sex or not? Just wondering that today. Also do they get bored and would she like more things to do or would she rather just sit and be at peace?

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would like to know more about their personality too. I will be getting my baby as soon as the temps are warm enough and want to make sure to provider her a happy and healthy life! You will have to post pics of your baby and enclosure! I would love to see more Greek photos. What is your babies name?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
This is up to debate, but I personally feel they do better when they have a companion. You would definitely want the same species (never mix species) and since you have a female, I would add another female. A male would probably bug her and stress her. (I always keep a minimum of two females to one male.) I like to give mine things to do when I can (move hills of dirt, dig holes, forage) - they can choose if they want to. Hope that was helpful.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am gonna disagree, I don't own greeks, but as a rule most tortoises prefer to be alone, they see others as competition, you can always get another one, you just have to have enough space for them, remember in the wild they would only come into contact with another one when they want to mate, males when coming into contact with others fight. As for other species you can get the same and keep them together, or you can get a different species and keep them separate, I personally would go with another species, find an interesting one, and then research, then get,

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I have had two greek tortoise for seven years. Got both as hatchlings, they are both male and will bang shells and try to mate with each other during the summer. I think they could care less if they are together, unlike my red foots they hibernate and am always amazed how they seem to wake up about the same time every year. When I have them out of there enclosure during summer they will come towards me unlike my red foots that go there own way when out of there enclosure.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I have had my two greeks for almost a year now... they do interact with each other but I don't think they would care if they are alone or not. Sometimes they would ride on top of each other or when they see one upside down they would help the other back up. Sometimes they sleep together sometimes they don't so it all depends on the day and their mood. They are pretty fun though, they always come at me and stare at me like where is my food!! Excellent climbers too... mine are both female so I don't see them getting aggressive. Its a good idea to keep the same type of tortoise together... since they have different diets, and temperatures and their own type of problems if they have it. Not to mention size differences as well.

lusciousdragon

5 Year Member
Ohio
Jessicap said:
I would like to know more about their personality too. I will be getting my baby as soon as the temps are warm enough and want to make sure to provider her a happy and healthy life! You will have to post pics of your baby and enclosure! I would love to see more Greek photos. What is your babies name?

My husband named her Myrtle Turtle (I know, not a turtle, I am just happy he is interested in her), but her nickname has been turning into Piggy since she eats so much. I sometimes wonder if I was actually sold a pig instead of a tortoise. You can take a look at the photo of her and let me know what you think.

untitled.jpg

Posting a couple photos of my enclosure. It is a 20 long. I would rather have a table style enclosure, but I am afraid that my cat would bother her. Once Myrtle is bigger I feel it will be fine to have her more out in the open and will build a table then. My cat is dirt stupid and harmless. He sits on top of the screen and burns himself on the light.

DSC04924.jpg

DSC04925.jpg

Myrtle loves her tissue box house :p .

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Too Cute... she DOES look like a pig... lol

I totally understand the cat issue too. I have a kitten almost 5mo old and if it moves he thinks it is a toy just for him.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
If you do get another, as a companion, be sure and get another female...if you decide later to try breeding, as mentioned before, you really want at least 2 females for one male (I'm going w/ 3, myself...male torts get very "excitable"! ;))

Of course, more than one means you'll eventually need a much larger inside enclosure, and/or an outside enclosure...when Myrtle is an adult Greek (females can grow possibly 9-10" long, depending on sub-species), she'd benefit from a minimum of 18-20 square feet (4' X 5' or 3' X 6') - and a bit more is better - and in the case of 4 (1m/3f, as I'm planning in the near future), they'll likely need 8" X 16" (128 square feet), so decide how much space you can realistically give up before adding more torts...one tort is all some folks find they can accomodate, and that's fine, too.

A solitary tortoise can, really, be perfectly happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.