Looking into getting a Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

furandscales

5 Year Member
I really would like a Greek tortoise. I own a russian. She lives in a Rubbermaid gigantic container. Would that be ok for a Greek? And are Greeks about the same as Russians? Do they need the same temps and food? Or are they really different?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, if you don't have an outside habitat for when the weather is good, then you shouldn't be getting any more tortoises. Tortoises are wild animals and they do best when allowed to live naturally and outside.

Greeks are very similar to russians...basically the same care and diet. But Greeks need outside time too.

furandscales

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
In my opinion, if you don't have an outside habitat for when the weather is good, then you shouldn't be getting any more tortoises. Tortoises are wild animals and they do best when allowed to live naturally and outside.

Greeks are very similar to russians...basically the same care and diet. But Greeks need outside time too.

Good point. We're about to build my russian an outdoor enclosure for her to spend the afternoon in, so maybe we can switch them out if I get a Greek.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
If you know how to keep a Russian tortoise, you can keep a Greek. If you get a hatchling Greek, they require a bit more awareness and care on your part than an adult or sub-adult Russian. If you get a captive bred Greek hatchling, I would not recommend putting it in the enclosure you use for the Russian, with or without the Russian present. Your Russian is more than likely wild caught, and you don't want to introduce something the wild caught animal has or may have to the captive bred animal.

I respectfully disagree with emysemys. Not all tortosies need outside time. I have some tortoises that have done far better inside than when I was taking them outside for summer outings. However, this only applies to a few species I keep.

pennyw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north carolina
for tim & robin,
i am curious as to which species they are???
sounds like my wc golden greeks it seems like they stress more outside...

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
pennyw said:
for tim & robin,
i am curious as to which species they are???
sounds like my wc golden greeks it seems like they stress more outside...

Egyptians and P a oblonga.

lq558

5 Year Member
russian/Hermanni may bite greek or use their claws to hurt their eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.