Black Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiMike

5 Year Member
I am looking into getting a Greek Tort and saw that they have a few "color" varieties most likely different localities. But I really would like to get a nice black greek.
I just have a few questions:
I am looking at Turtle Source and Turtle Supply, I haven't heard anythind bad about them but just curious if they are legit to go thru
Also I heard different opinions on hibernating these guys. Some say they don't, some day they do (only for 4 weeks). So what is it really?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi ReptiMike:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Sorry, I can't help with your question. I don't know these folks, but others will give you some advice.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
ReptiMike said:
I am looking at Turtle Source and Turtle Supply, I haven't heard anythind bad about them but just curious if they are legit to go thru

What, my 2-seconds-later reply to your e-mail earlier didn't confirm a little bit of legitimacy? ;)

(Tortoise Supply, not Turtle)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, Tyler...I didn't know he was talking about you.

Tortoise Supply is a sponsor here on the Forum, and Tyler is a valued member.

ReptiMike

5 Year Member
TylerStewart said:
ReptiMike said:

What, my 2-seconds-later reply to your e-mail earlier didn't confirm a little bit of legitimacy? ;)

(Tortoise Supply, not Turtle)

That was before we started talking, sorry just checking. It's good to see that your an active part of the forum community.
I am actually now trying to get that Hermann's, from you, I was asking you about, instead of the greek. Just gotta get everything ready to go for the little guy first.

I'm Mike from North Carolina, to answer that question.

Also for the Hermann's can you avoid the Hibernation? My reptile room stays at 78 degrees year round with fluctuating humidity as the seasons change. The only window in the room is insulated shut and there is a floor lamp with 2 x 150 watt daylight bulbs on a 14/10 hour light cycle 365 days a year.
(I have a bearded dragon that I don't want hibernating and the burms go by barometric pressure anyway is it doesn't bug them)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
ReptiMike said:
I am looking into getting a Greek Tort and saw that they have a few "color" varieties most likely different localities. But I really would like to get a nice black greek.
I just have a few questions:
Also I heard different opinions on hibernating these guys. Some say they don't, some day they do (only for 4 weeks). So what is it really?

Black Greeks are not a species unto to themselves. The majority of black and dark coloreded Greeks in captivity are from the Northern Mediterranean species (or subspecies) of Ibera, Testudo (gracea) ibera. But dark examples can also be found in some of the Middle Eastern species and races.
The Ibera species are capable of brumation (hibernation), as well as some of the more northern Middle Eastern species and subspecies. Identifying the various species and subspecies of Middle Eastern Greek complex can be confusing at best. But it is important to know what subspecies you have if you intend to brumate them. Some do, some don't.

As far as Tyler at Tortoise Supply - You can't ask for better.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
emysemys said:
Sorry, Tyler...I didn't know he was talking about you.

Tortoise Supply is a sponsor here on the Forum, and Tyler is a valued member.

Oh thanks....
Oh wait your speaking about tyler stewart!
;)

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
LOL @ Tyler! but which one?!?

I have ordered from both and both are very good and are legit.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I ordered a Hermann tortoise from Turtle source a few months ago. It arrived very healthy and perky and I was impressed. However, getting answers to follow-up questions has been difficult and makes me question their operation a bit...I had a question about a small health issue (I was a newbie=most likely my fault) a couple months after getting my tort and I made it very clear in my email I just was looking for answers, NOT compensation or anything like that and still never got a response....not good in my eyes. I am much more informed now and in the future will buy from someone belonging to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.