Are UVB bulbs necessary?

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
There's so much conflicting information about red foot care, especially for hatchlings. This is so overwhelming, I'm just trying to give my poor little dude a good life haha.

As I'm researching good UVB lights, I keep seeing "UVB lights aren't necessary for red foots as with arid species" pop up. Is this true? Do I not even have to worry about it? Or should I stick on the safe side and put a better one up? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have always known they are needed unless you can get them outside for natural uv. A basking spot is what I know of that is not needed because so many don't bask.
@allegraf can verify

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There's so much conflicting information about red foot care, especially for hatchlings. This is so overwhelming, I'm just trying to give my poor little dude a good life haha.

As I'm researching good UVB lights, I keep seeing "UVB lights aren't necessary for red foots as with arid species" pop up. Is this true? Do I not even have to worry about it? Or should I stick on the safe side and put a better one up? Thanks!
Here’s my opinion. You can raise redfoots without UVB light. But you must get the diet right so they get vitamin D. I raised 3 for first 3 months with no uvb. But I fed an animal protein once a week, they are fine. However, they need some sort of light in part of the enclosure. So why not a uvb tube light. Also providing a uvb light is another safety net.
The main thing is, provide a dark area and a light area in the enclosure(May aswell be a uvb tube light). Do not provide a basking spot or any concentrated heat spots for a baby redfoot. They will pyramid.
Same as soaking. Many do it and many don’t. If you want a smooth tort soak it daily. If you don’t you are relying on getting your enclosure absolutely spot on, which is hard to achieve as they get bigger. Soaking eradicates any errors.

So...... UVB via a tube light, no basking spots, soak daily and feed a good mixed diet is or should be a full proof way to raise babies.