Asher House rescued a tortoise - also FYI Oregonians

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hey all, don't know if anyone follows the Asher House on FB, YT, or IG - HUGE following and brings a lot of attention to dog rescue (cause he's super hot and is living "every rescuers dream" of buying a gigantic plot of land to rescue a zillion dogs). He's also branching out to other species of rescue and apparently rescued a tortoise and OF COURSE its in a too small space, eating lettuce etc. I actually reached out to them very nicely and got a very nice reply. I can't say for sure what will happen, but I did point them to Tom's omnibus "New here?" FAQ and I think Lee is the kind of person who WANTS to impart good information via his social media, so we'll just have to see if he believes the information he has is bad or not... I'm sure he's been given terrible information from all the usual "good sources".

I have been going into the comments and making a few suggestion to people who clearly have their torts in unhealthy conditions, but its a little like spitting into the rain...

In any case, I gave him lots of links here on TFO and also mentioned there are a few people from Oregon on here because he is based SE of Portland and maybe he'll want to do a local interview with knowledgeable people, its the kind of thing he does - he has huge social media presence and if he chooses to be a force for good in tortoise care, he could help a lot of torts get better living conditions... so, just a heads up in case they reach out and contact anyone. (probably not, but you never know).

Can't say I have HUGE high hopes, but ya gotta try!

PS: If anyone does interact with them, please be super nice, they really are trying to do good in the world
PPS: I feel like Tom should ignore this entirely because I suspect may have an aneurism watching Lee's videos, I don't think they are "dog trainer" approved 😁

Reactions: Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen his dog stuff too. I posted on the vid with the tortoise. Hopefully he will seek help or info here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
PPS: I feel like Tom should ignore this entirely because I suspect may have an aneurism watching Lee's videos, I don't think they are "dog trainer" approved 😁
Wish granted. I don't do FB at all. Trying to watch dog training videos on YT is like trying to watch tortoise care videos for me. Sooooooo much bad info and misunderstanding. Its very upsetting to watch people viewed as "experts" dispensing harmful advice.

You know this fight with trying to get good tortoise care info out into the world? Its similar or worse for dog training. I'm the guy that gets to solve all the problems created by "feel good" ignorant dog training and handling techniques, but no one wants to do what needs to be done to prevent these problems and keep a dog in a healthy happy frame of mind. People don't seem to understand, or want to understand. They want the warm fuzzy parts, but the cold heartless hierarchy, territorial and predatory instincts shouldn't be ignored, as they usually are. Political correctness is making many dogs miserable, or dead.