Asking gor Clyde

Danajmc

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland

Can you check this out for me.. going to ring them tomorrow but it seems to make solely from coconut too..

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas

Can you check this out for me.. going to ring them tomorrow but it seems to make solely from coconut too..
It is not made from coconut shells, it's cocoa aka chocolate.

Danajmc

Ireland
Omg.. there goes my dyslexic brain again 😒

Any would you thing it would be a good substrate for a russian..

The coco coir is getting to my allergies 🤧 😫
I have asthma and sometimes I can feel my lungs struggling for air when I close my bedroom windows..

zovick

10 Year Member!

I have asthma and sometimes I can feel my lungs struggling for air when I close my bedroom windows..
Is the tortoise kept in a closed chamber? If so, it would seem that your asthma would not be as much of a problem as if the top of the enclosure was fully open to the room.

Is there possibly a different room where you could house the tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

No, you can't use cocoa (chocolate) shells for animals.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas

Oh I can relate. I still see the word Napoleon for that ice cream. I cannot call it anything else it will forever be Napoleon.

Pass on that stuff.

I'm asthmatic too. With the green house set up, I have been using cypress mulch and once it airs out I have no issues with it.

Danajmc

Ireland
Is the tortoise kept in a closed chamber? If so, it would seem that your asthma would not be as much of a problem as if the top of the enclosure was fully open to the room.

Is there possibly a different room where you could house the tortoise?
Yeah I think I'll get a lid for him.. might keep him warmer too..

The weather in Ireland is going crazy.. wouldn't be surprised if it snowed tomorrow

I'll try putting just coir in his enclosure it might be the chunks that is affecting me..

Other room is my dad storage room at the moment but if it comes to it I'll love him to the other room.

Danajmc

Ireland
Oh I can relate. I still see the word Napoleon for that ice cream. I cannot call it anything else it will forever be Napoleon.

Pass on that stuff.

I'm asthmatic too. With the green house set up, I have been using cypress mulch and once it airs out I have no issues with it.
I might actually try that.. I taught maybe it would trigger an attack but if it doesn't affect you, chances are it would be alright.

Never taught to actually ask some about asthma.. Google says it OK for people pulmonary issues but don't the they had 10l of the stuff in there all day..

COmtnLady

Colorado

Just use the Orchid/fir bark, get rid of the coco coir if its messing with your allergies.

But first, try dampening the coco coir. It could be dry enough to float up into the air and a little water might solve the problem. (Or is it too wet and what you are reacting to is mold?) I always keep the layer of orchid bark deep enough that I can't even see the coco coir.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
If you don't find any substrate that would be suitable for both you and your tortoise, a closed chamber would probably be the best option.